Shimko RK2 Motor

Dagmar

Hi.  I have a Shimko rk2 wheel which I brought over from Europe. Thus it is set up for 240V, not 110V.  Wondering what the best path woudl be to get it ready for 110V.  For example should i buy a new motor?   It seems, however, that the shimko RK2 motor (200 and 300W) has been discontinued.  Any suggestions on which motor to use or just go with a transformer?  The wheel has not been used in a long time, thus I am a little concerned about spending too much money to convert electricity to find out it no longer works.  I know it worked about 8 years ago...  That 's the last time it was turned on.

Thanks!

Dagmar

I think you have several options:

1. Find a motor that meets the required specs for voltage, power, size, mounting, etc. You may be able to find one online. Just because Shimpo doesn't sell them any more doesn't mean they don't exist. It may be that they just don't want to service that wheel any more.

2. Install a 240V circuit for it. You would have to do this every time you move to a new home, though.

3. Transformer, although I'm not very familiar with using those so hopefully others like @Bill Kielb will weigh in on whether or not that's a good way to go.

4. Call Shimpo and see if they have a recommendation.

5. Buy a new wheel.

How old is the current motor? Do you plan on staying in the US for a long time?

Hi Neil.  Thanks for your input.  I of course didn't think of calling Shimpo directly (duh!). 

I don't know how old the wheel is - but it's been around for a while....  (guessing 20 years+).  It has a bit of a sentimental value for me, which is why I wanted to see if I can resuscitate it.  And, yes, I live here, planning to stay here.  So, honing in on #1, 3, 4 for now.  The transformer would be the least expensive option that I can see (about $70 for 500W which is well above the 200W motor).  So, I may start with that to see what kind of shape the unit is in, and take it from there.  

Dagmar

Hi Neil.  Just a quick update - I called Shimpo, and the person I talked to was tremendously helpful!!! I'll start with the converter, test things out, see if any parts need to be replaced and see if I can make it run.  Maybe down the road, I would find a new motor, but this will be a good start. 

Dagmar

2 hours ago, Dagmar said:

Hi Neil.  Just a quick update - I called Shimpo, and the person I talked to was tremendously helpful!!! I'll start with the converter, test things out, see if any parts need to be replaced and see if I can make it run.  Maybe down the road, I would find a new motor, but this will be a good start. 

Dagmar

Glad they were able to help you. Happy throwing!

Archived