Advice for refiring? Cone 6 — mason stains, underglaze, oxides… advice?

Holly

Unloaded a recent glaze firing (Cone 6)   and I didn’t like how many of the pieces turned out (Electric Brown with glossy white Laguna glaze — totally should have expected how they turned out… in the end just didn’t like them on hand built pieces…)

hoping to refire them — I”ve watched some tutorials & understand i need to heat the pieces up or sand them a bit to make the glaze/whatever adhere…. I am wondering if I can do a mason stain or oxide or underglaze instead of a glaze — anyone ever try that?   

Any advice welcome — just hoping to make them less shiny and a bit more interesting (I know… duh.   glossy white glaze… what did I expect?!).    Happy to experiment but I’d love at least a couple to be salvageable?

Thank you!

My experience with refiring is it rarely results in exceeding one’s expectations. The application issues alone tend to make it difficult to get expected thickness applied which often is an important component of the expected fired look. Glazed Wares that have been fired to maturity have undergone their transformation to a finished glass so to speak so refiring often distresses and distorts them. Less so with firing down though so I have seen folks cover midfired  goods with lowfire glaze, fire down and have some success.

using anything but a glaze probably will be a waste of your time and a discouraging result.  if you really do not like anything about the pieces in question, give them to someone, even a charity that will sell them to someone without your investment in them.  salvation army stores and goodwill stores come to mind. 

or, you could put them somewhere that they can stay out of your daily sight and look at them again in 6 months.   our views on what is pleasing changes rather often, maybe you will see their unique virtues later on.

re apply glaze only and use some heat, it does not take much.  NEVER sand anything!

You could try decals or china paints to break up the all white. If you have a laser jet printer there are ceramic decals that you can print your own images, or buy premade ones and refire. China paints or lusters are painted on and then fired again at a lower temperature. The glossy white surface would be great for any of that.

Archived