Fixing up a unknown kiln!

Mike TY

Hi all,  I am brand new to the ceramics world and new to this forum as well.  My  spouse has been trying to find a kiln for ages and got a pretty good deal on a 3 tier kiln but it does not have any manufacturer markings.  I am trying to figure out a replacement element as one of them has a broken end and I realized as I got into it, most elements are sold by the make and  model of the kiln.  

The elements come out of the body opposite of the hinge, they only make a single pass round the inside of the kiln (each layer has 4 layers of elements), there are only 3 vent holes to the left of the element wires.  There is a hole in the bottom layer in the middle of the element wiring, but it looks more like it was previous owner done, not from the manufacturer.

I think I have everything figured out except for the element, but I will take whatever help I can get!

PXL_20211231_022532923.jpg

PXL_20211231_022237470.jpg

PXL_20211231_022217190.MP.jpg

Maybe someone will know this kiln. For now I suggest measuring the resistance of each element and recording it. Worst case you can later lay a 3/8” diameter rope in the grooves and get a decent length measurement as well as you will be able to record how many turns per inch, inside and outside diameter just in case you end up needing Euclids to wind elements for you.

Hopefully someone here is very familiar with this model by sight, if not with the above info you can rebuild this.

Do you have the boxes that cover the elements? No markings in them?

I've worked on a kiln like that before, but I can't identify it. Too long ago. The only brand I know of that has 4 individual elements per section is Duncan, but the element connections don't look like Duncan. 99% sure it's not a brand that still exists, though, or at least a model that's no longer made. None of the current kiln manufacturers are going to have element for it, so you'll need to call Euclids if you need elements. They'll probably need you to make some measurements, but they'll tell you what they need.

That looks like an old Skutt kiln to me. Minus the red boxes. The lid /hinge it all adds up. Even the wire placement . Two elements per ring add up to 4 penatrations per section

I'm 99% on the skutt kiln.Model unknown -1027 is my guess all Manuel missing most everything outside

Archived