Prices of clay and glazes ... how much have they gone up?

Getting ready to place my yearly clay order.   Got my last shipment in October and price went up a little ... not even 5%. 

Will be ordering my usual 3K to 10K pounds .... 10k if shipping makes that much difference.  

What kind of increase are you seeing for delivered clay?     The freight is worrying me.   I haven't gotten a price yet from supplier .. won't get until January 4th.   Just wondering what people are seeing.

I've noted glaze has gone up but not a huge amount.  Several of my glazes have been exactly the same.   \

My trucking went up this year about $50 a ton-I have done 3 shipments from Laguna past year . They are making 1,000 of glaze for me now and I know that will cost more than previos years.

I got a notice from them about upcosts on most everything from trucking to materials as well as supply chain material shortages.They got it all now just like everyone

I have a new Yamaha outboard on order-1-2 year wait

I'll send you a pm

I did a small pickup earlier this month, and they didn’t have all I wanted. There was a big run on supplies for January classes. My clay and glaze prices did go up marginally earlier in the year, but they were overdue for that.

I also choose to use materials that are sourced as close to home as I can get, so supply chains are hitting me less than some. It’s not nothing, because I had a hard time getting cones last spring. 

I get a custom made drop ship from Laguna branch in Ohio, delivered by truck with lift gate, placed on my concrete pad.   Up to 3K pounds on the pallet, depending if I have glaze on it.  R&L caps pallets at 3k.

Hopefully, I get it easy.   Like I noted, October was business as usual, with a small increase for glaze & clay.   I usually have a bit of a back stock and skip November.   Should have ordered this in Dec.   Crossing my fingers ... hope it goes as planned.

sharon,  while checking out your website i see there have been a lot of changes.  looks like success has just run away with you.   the jewelry area is enormous!

hope you work out all the kinks and have a great year.

oh,   noticed a tiny typo on the first pottery page.  the hostess set says it costs $379.    

• 1 month later...

Well my custom clay order arrived.   Took a total of 5 weeks, which usually takes 4 weeks.   Considering we had a weather delay in Ohio (Laguna processing place), I think this was great service.      I had enough to make it through January, as usual.    Other years, like I said, I double up in October and November and don't need clay until March.     Missed 3 or 4 days I might have devoted to clay production, but filled in time with glazing slip cast,  working on showroom displays and new jewelry lines.

I really appreciate the fast service of Laguna.    Got 3500 pounds today, just ahead of a freeze and got it inside.   These custom orders usually have to be in 2K but something happened on 500 pounds, which I won't miss.    Got plenty of time to get next order in.   As for shipping, it was truck line, lift gate dropping off on my concrete loading pad right at my ramp (How I wish I could wheel in a full pallet up that ramp .......)   Shipping costs up some, but not an unreasonable amount.   Also, got the 8 gallons of glaze I ordered.

Wondering, would 29 degrees outside low really freeze clay?   My clay has has less moisture  (7.5) than the average (6.25)?

I have a pro potter friend in New Mexico and he keeps his clay under a covered roof and wraps the pallets in those thick moving blankets to keep it from Freezing seems to work well for him-I saw about 8 pallets wrapped when I visited years ago.

When I still worked in unheated studios and was subject to weather, I usually wrapped things up for the season when the daytime temperatures were around a high of 10 C (50 F). Much below that, and the cold from the clay is like dipping your hands in ice water. I felt it in my joints, and I was only in my early 30’s.

’s.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks- being in construction (retired), I was checking how fuel costs were going to effect material costs. My curiosity led me to check clay and silica markets. Below is a link to just one: generic content, but states 8-25% price increase for lime/ raw clay. Another link showed 10-15% price increases for silica. Yet another link stated overseas shipping rates are expected to triple. (Grolleg kaolin, Mahavir potash, and NZ kaolin are examples of overseas products). How exactly that pans out to exact price increases- ?? Just a heads up to let you know some pretty serious increases are coming.

https://www.lhoist.com/us_en/news/lhoist-north-america-announces-2022-pricing

Tom 

As My laguna email from Thursday said

Well prices went up in 2021 and I just got this from Laguna  today

(We are working on pricing for 2022 and there will be a significant increase.)

So be aware  its on the rise for materials this year as well.

Tom I read that overseas shipping for some items is up 300%-applinaces thay said but it will hit all materials as you noted

Archived