Claw broken on kiln sitter

Nataniajoy24

I was finally able to start my kiln this morning and I went in to get it started and the one tiny thing I missed when purchasing it was that the claw on the kiln sitter is ever so slightly broken. Just enough to not grab the tongue piece. Is there anything I can do without purchasing the little claw piece? I’m sure I just need to purchase a new one…just frustrated. 

4F2B8D80-88CC-45D4-991E-D7FF6936566E.jpeg

9329CB2A-861C-4B7B-A30C-81C5E37DF1EF.jpeg

Ah, frustratin'!

That part has a setscrew? Looks like $7.50 to $18 or so (New Mexico clay has a metal one for less than $10).

Is there enough claw tooth left to catch the plate if you move the plate up a bit (note the adjustment - there's a set screw)? ...perhaps not.

From there, is there enough material there to drill a hole and fit a pin?
Fabricating a tooth to fit, then gluing it on, that might be possible; a bit of two part epoxy, reinforced with thread - wound through the wet glue - can be a strong repair, if rather a pain...

You might just set witness cones up so you can see them through the peeps, and go with that (while waiting on the part). Be sure to wear appropriate glasses against harmful rays and superheated flying bits. If you haven't watched cones before, note that actually being able to see them can be a challenge; I've done the paint a line of iron oxide wash trick, which helps somewhat.

I don't rely on the sitter, any road - it's a back up. I'm watching the pyrometer and witness cones.

Oh, good!
No light, hrm; well, it's getting warm, or not, eh?
Does that sitter have a timer knob? If so, crank it up to about a half hour more than your firing takes...

10 minutes ago, Hulk said:

Ah, frustratin'!

That part has a setscrew? Looks like $7.50 to $18 or so (New Mexico clay has a metal one for less than $10).

Is there enough claw tooth left to catch the plate if you move the plate up a bit (note the adjustment - there's a set screw)? ...perhaps not.

From there, is there enough material there to drill a hole and fit a pin?
Fabricating a tooth to fit, then gluing it on, that might be possible; a bit of two part epoxy, reinforced with thread - wound through the wet glue - can be a strong repair, if rather a pain...

You might just set witness cones up so you can see them through the peeps, and go with that (while waiting on the part). Be sure to wear appropriate glasses against harmful rays and superheated flying bits. If you haven't watched cones before, note that actually being able to see them can be a challenge; I've done the paint a line of iron oxide wash trick, which helps somewhat.

I don't rely on the sitter, any road - it's a back up. I'm watching the pyrometer and witness cones.

Oh, good!
No light, hrm; well, it's getting warm, or not, eh?
Does that sitter have a timer knob? If so, crank it up to about a half hour more than your firing takes...

I’ll try again and see, thanks! Don’t think it’s getting warm :(

Archived