how to transport greenware?

ellis

hello,  my only way of doing ceramics is at an after school club, and i would like to make things at home,let them dry, and possibly carry them there so i can get them fired and keep working. the teacher told me that it is impossible, because the greenware is going to explode if i take it outside. 

is there anything i can do to safely get my work there?

welcome to the forum.

Greenware will not explode but may break in transit.

I have moved much greenware in a auto/truck/van

It depends on the forms-for example if it forms all the same heights  like say mugs or glasses you can put them on a ware board in flat area of vehicle and then cover with a towel or blanket.No other padding is nescessary

That holds them down and drive carefully-we have move large amounts this way-it works great with funtional ware

if you only have a few wares put in a box and pad between and cover

Its pretty easy. 

(because the greenware is going to explode if i take it outside. ) this simply is not true

where is your location? if its in deep  space(outside the earths atmosphere the moisture could freeze in zero gravity and explode

41 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

welcome to the forum.

Greenware will not explode but may break in transit.

I have moved much greenware in a auto/truck/van

It depends on the forms-for example if it forms all the same heights  like say mugs or glasses you can put them on a ware board in flat area of vehicle and then cover with a towel or blanket.No other padding is nescessary

That holds them down and drive carefully-we have move large amounts this way-it works great with funtional ware

if you only have a few wares put in a box and pad between and cover

Its pretty easy. 

(because the greenware is going to explode if i take it outside. ) this simply is not true

where is your location? if its in deep  space(outside the earths atmosphere the moisture could freeze in zero gravity and explode

I am not sure why my teacher said they'll explode. She said she has tried (she specifically used the word explode,and then said that parts will start falling apart. But I could have misinterpreted and took it as a direct meaning) and that greenware starts falling apart as soon as you take it outside, which I found strange because I found no proof of that happening online whatsoever but i assumed it is something temperature related. I used the word transport, however I live a 1-2 minute walk away from school so if nothing like what she described would happen, then I don't think anything is going to happen to the greenware if I carefully bring it in a box with my hands. 

1 hour ago, ellis said:

am not sure why my teacher said they'll explode. She said she has tried (she specifically used the word explode,and then said that parts will start falling apart

It won’t explode, don’t let it freeze or expose it to the rain. Freezing will damage it and rain will make it wet. Hopefully just a misunderstanding or your teacher is not ready to teach basic science and that’s ok. Put it in a box maybe cushioned by loose newspaper all around and carefully carry it. A cushioned shopping bag might be an easy way as well.

I transported dry greenware for years to be fired. While there can be some breakage if things aren’t packed carefully, I’ve never had anything explode. The trick is to get everything cushioned so that it doesn’t knock against anything else, but not packed too tight so it gets compression cracks. If you choose to stack items like bowls together, you have to make sure that the weight of the top bowls in the stack doesn’t rest on the rims of the ones below. 

Archived