Glaze on green ware

Erica D

I accidentally put glaze on portion of a green ware piece and bisque fired the piece with underglaze on other parts of it. Can I glaze fire the piece with clear on it as I originally planned? Also the other part of this question is do I need to heat the part that I put the glaze on before adding more coats? This was something that my niece made and I was glazing for her! Don’t want to use it as a test would like to know others experience with this and how to fix this so it doesn’t look terrible. 

i do not know the answer but if you have a spot that needs to be heated, a hair dryer will do.  if you evenly spread the heat around the whole piece evenly, it should work well enough to put more glaze where you need to.  the amount of heat needed is not a lot, feeling warm is probably enough.  do not burn yourself as you work.

3 hours ago, Erica D said:

Can I glaze fire the piece with clear on it as I originally planned?

Yes you should be able to. I assume clear glaze was put on it in its green state. I suggest remove the glaze that was bisqued and then glaze the whole piece as intended. I would not glaze over the bisqued glaze it’s too hard to know if it will be excessive with more glaze over the top, if it will adhere well. The clay in the glaze that’s on there has been sintered and thoroughly calcined, I would say why take the chance and experiment with it, remove the glaze thoroughly and start fresh. If you damage any of the underglaze it can be touched up to make satisfactory and re bisqued.

If my understanding is correct, I would remove the bisqued glaze, thoroughly dry, and reglaze.

I wouldn't try and sand the bisqued glaze off, it's not going to work well. If making a test piece is an option I would do that. Use your green glaze on a greenware test tile and bisque fire it with your next kiln load. After bisque firing put a light coat of clear glaze over the top half of the test tile and  leave the other half with no clear glaze on it. Fire the test tile on a scrap piece of clay (cookie or waster) in case the glaze runs and choose which looks better. If the green glaze was put on heavily enough (I'm assuming it's a brushing glaze?) it shouldn't need a coat of clear over it though.

Accidents happen.

Welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, Erica D said:

Bob Kielb thank you for your reply buy removing the bisqued glaze you mean sanding it off correct?

I think I would wash it off, maybe a scrub brush, unless it’s lowfire glaze, if it is, then  your only choice is to overglaze it with more lowfire glaze or glaze to it with contrasting lowfire glaze. I assumed this was cone 6, but now I am thinking it is cone 04. Post a picture.

I ended up heating the piece where I needed to reglaze after I sanded it a little bit. Just put it in the kiln for a glaze fire. I will update on the results as a learning lesson. Thank you for all of your comments and advice I really do appreciate the community.

Archived