Siobhian- Ceradel Socor Kiln

Siobhian

Hello. 

I'm fairly new to ceramics (3 years) I've ne we had or used a kiln myself as I've always sent my work to be fired elsewhere, however I've just been offered a large kiln for free(!) which is 20/25 years old and only used a handful of times. 

I've just been to see it. It's in great condition from what I can tell, but it's MASSIVE and it going to take about half a day to get out of the ladies house. We'd have to take the lid and feet off and then turn it on its side. 

I have a few questions if anyone could help? CAN a kiln be turned on its side?? (Would I have to remove the bricks and elements, or pack it to hold them in?) Is it actually worth getting an older kiln? Are newer kilns going to be a LOT more energy efficient?  It's a Ceradel Socor. Has anyone heard of this particular kiln?

Thanks so much. 

-Siobhian

Screenshot_20211130-203817_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-203820_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-203824_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-203830_WhatsApp.jpg

You can turn the whole kiln and/or the section on its side to get it through a doorway, as long as it's solid. tighten up the body bands and you should be okay.

I don't know that brand, but if it's really old I would call the manufacturer and see if parts are still available for it. If it's in good condition and you can still get parts, then an older kiln can be a great value. Check out all the wiring, too. If it's crispy and old you will want to rewire it, if that's something you're comfortable doing yourself.

• neilestrick changed the title to Siobhian- Ceradel Socor Kiln
8 hours ago, Siobhian said:

and only used a handful of times. 

It’s a really good looking kiln! The elements look like much more than a handful of firings though. This is a 9000 watt kiln so not extremely large. If you are handy or willing to learn it could be a good value. Hard to beat the price anyway and I assume you could sell it for quite a bit  more than nothing. It’s not sectional so I believe it should be sized to fit through most conventional doorways. Laying it on its side doesn’t seem to get you more clearance really

Is there any kiln furniture with it?

Check that is available to buy also.

Get advice on moving it as i f the underdside is not protected it is esy to damage with forks.

The bulgIng elements will be vulnereable and brittle, carefully packing the inside of kiln would be advisable.

It's a Potterycfafts kiln.  I have one, but much smaller.

How does it connect to mains?  Make sue you have the right connections - get a sparky, don't use an extension lead.
I think it's new equivalent is this one https://www.potterycrafts.co.uk/ProductGrp/p59590-topworker-190lt-1300c-top-loading-kiln

Looks an absolute bargain if you can get it out.   I have it's little brother, also second hand.

Archived