Immunosuppression and working with clay

Cajonat

Hi Cajonat!

Good question.

You might tweak the scope of your inquiry a bit, e.g. from ceramics/clay to dust, mold/fungus, and ...not sure what else.

Here's an article that includes a short discussion on dust, fungi, etc.
Prevention of infection caused by immunosuppressive drugs in gastroenterology (nih.gov)

Allergies and immune function
Allergies and the Immune System | Johns Hopkins Medicine 

Mold and the immunocomprimised
Invasive Mold Infections in Immunocompromised People | CDC

A similar approach may yield somewhat in your encounters with health pros - dust and whatever's growing in damp earth in place of pottery/ceramics (but steer back to pottery, as everyone is a potential customer {and give freely, eh?}).

Dust
In my observation, there is some dust generation resulting from unwrapping, preparing, forming, and trimming/finishing wet clay.
From there, controlling/managing dry clay (ah!) is key to minimizing dust - if the only dry bits are undisturbed dry ware, and undisturbed dry "waste" awaiting reclaim, hard to beat that. On t'other hand, dry film of clay on surfaces, tools, etc., when agitated, produces dust, so clean, clean, clean. Keep everything clean by wet process. In particular, stepping on dry bits, sweeping dry bits, manipulating, stirring, agitating dry bits and dried film - all that generates dust.
Also look at air currents - incoming fresh clean air displaces dusty air, however, air movement also kicks up dust; it's a dance.

Yucky smell and such
If you're retaining throwing water - allowing the particles to settle out, discarding the clear portion, etc. - it'll rank up. I put a lid on those buckets (which also helps to keep out bugs, bits, etc.) and let it do its thing. If whatever is living in the sludge is a concern, maybe you pass on recycling clay, or treat the sludge with enough hydrogen peroxide (or somewhat else) to sterilize it... 
After changing out my throwing water bucket, I squirt a bit of hydrogen peroxide (the drug store stuff) in there, as whatever makes the smell will otherwise take over rather quickly.
Prepared clay will likely have some live stuff in it, right from the start - is it more and/or different than what's in your garden? In the drainpipes? I don't know.
Stuff can grow in glaze slurries (that have organic stuff for bugs to eat), however, that's easily controlled - a smidge of copper carbonate is the typical reccomendo.

Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Min said:

Wide range of immunosuppressants from prednisone to organ rejection drugs, I think this is a question best asked of an immunologist.

I will be asking my oncologist but if he/she doesn't know ceramics...was just wanting to take some info to my first appointment.

All the best with your treatments.

Been there done that with talking to my oncologist(s) about working with clay. I have had 3 different oncologists and none of them could answer the question of whether it was okay or not. Just got vague warnings about being careful not to have open cuts that bacteria can get into, especially on the arm that I had the lymph nodes removed from my underarm. From my reading at the time I couldn't find a definitive yes or no as to the safety of it. Quite frankly I came to the conclusion that if I was careful the psychological benefits outweighed the risk in my situation.  What my experience was is just anecdotal to my situation.

Thanks Min...I really really appreciate your response. I know it was mentioned in a waiver I signed before some classes that I took a couple of years ago. I'm still in shock from the diagnosis so just wanted to know if it was an "oh yes, it is not recommended" or if it was more of a theoretical concern. I'm thinking I am going to need it for therapy - but it's day by day and I'll be sure to consult with my docs.

And thanks Hulk...that helps.

Archived