Standard 105 vs 105NT

andryea

Can somebody explain to me the difference between a clay body with and without that talc?

I've been working with Standard 105 which is a low fire (cone 06) white earthenware and the last time I went to my local supplier (last week) they didn't have the clay WITH TALC but they had the same clay body but WITHOUT TALC. And I guess there's no talc anywhere in the USA so who knows when the clay body with talc will be available again.

I wonder what to expect in terms of working with and firing this clay.

Thanks

NT stands for no talc which was a requirement in some locations after the talc lawsuits. You will need to try and see if you like it and it works with your glazes etc…. Standard website has a general properties sheet detailing each offering. Scroll the page to review https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0039/8177/0841/files/low_mid_fire_clays_2018.pdf?15459653817444462005

Talc is available but much less of it for your use as the tile companies purchased the mines and decided basically it’s for their  exclusive use and not to supply the general public, hence the shortage. Using a claybody without it is probably a good idea moving forward. It was on its way out anyway for the risk reasons.

482EF291-162A-4507-BA63-84E1DB7351B9.jpeg

Thanks Bill,

I understand the NT designation and when I googled Talc I learned a bit about the commercial tile industry commandeering all the talc everywhere.

I have that sheet from Standard with the descriptions and see that it's shrinkage and absorption rate are identical when fired to cone 06.  So, what I guess I'll soon learn is, how the clay body that I've grown accustom to, will behave in my hands without talc (since I've only used the body with it and can't get it anymore...at least for now). I wonder....will it feel the same in terms of handling, drying, manipulating? (I don't throw so that's not an issue.)  So the only real difference is the way 'some' commercial glazes fits or behaves on the clay and that is something I will have to test, right? Fortunately that shouldn't be too hard or take too long since I primarily use underglazes and three different clear glazes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and experience.

If I remember correctly, the NT body is formulated with calcium instead of talc. As it says in the description, some glazes don't like it. As for the feel, it's been years since I used it so I can't say how it feels compared to the talc body, but I do remember liking how it worked. You'll just have to test it and see what you think.

• 5 months later...

Archived