stack and slam wedging station - ideas for portable

I use the stack and slam method for wedging. I like the efficiency of having a  fixed wire stand as opposed to pulling wire through the clay.  My problem is my "studio" is my dining room. LOL.  I have a couple ideas for building a portable wire stand. Before I spend a lot of time fleshing out those ideas, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone has already figured out a good solution.  Thanks for any tips

My cut & slam  set up is portable.  My studio is in a former bedroom in my trailer, but I can move the station anywhere. Mine is a bit heavy because the guy who made it for me (as a freebie) chose a steel plate for the base, but it does the job superbly.  I use cut & slam all the time and dislike wedging anyway. 

cut and slam.jpg

Stack and slam is my normal method, but I don't use a mounted wire. If I ever set up a mounted wire, I will use a wiggle wire in the set up. The small grooves in the clay hold the water and prevent the slam splash when softening some overly stiff clay. It also works well to prevent sliding of softer wet clay on drier clay when mixing two different batches.

best,

Pres

7 hours ago, Pres said:

Stack and slam is my normal method, but I don't use a mounted wire. If I ever set up a mounted wire, I will use a wiggle wire in the set up. The small grooves in the clay hold the water and prevent the slam splash when softening some overly stiff clay. It also works well to prevent sliding of softer wet clay on drier clay when mixing two different batches.

best,

Pres

Good point about the wiggle wire!  thanks!

Archived