Clay Shortage

GEP

Kilns being slow to arrive is an ongoing situation from last year. There are issues with supply for both the stainless steel sheet metal for the jackets, and for circuit boards for the controllers. Some of it is because of covid shutting down production in China, some because ongoing supply chain faults throughout the whole system, and some just because a LOT people have been building studios at home. So the extended wait times on new kilns are ongoing, but they are arriving in good condition from what I’ve seen.

If you are in the market for a brand new kiln, check with the manufacturer, and ask what the wait times are like so you can gauge your business’s response to that, and you can decide how you want to respond to your customers if it’s going to affect your production. 

I would definitely check with Euclids for the kiln elements if you just need replacements. As far as I know, they’re doing fine. 

When I checked Highwater’s website, they have a small banner with a one sentence statement saying that clay shipments have been delayed due to weather, so I don’t think it’s time to panic on that yet. If it is just weather, the national forecast says it’s supposed to start warming up next week, after the nor’easter that’s supposed to hit.

That said, If you have an idea of the supplies you need in the next year, it’s probably a good idea to check with your supplier to see if they anticipate any problems or delays this year, and give yourself some time to plan accordingly. 

Update after taking my own advice and calling my clay supplier:

High temperature wire for kilns has been delayed, but they did confirm that Euclids still has supply for replacement, and apparently new shipments are arriving but there are back orders to fill.

Something to be aware of if you use white earthenware or mid fire fire bodies, if you slipcast, or if you use commercial glazes: your materials may be affected by talc shortages later this year.

Because of the tile manufacturers claiming all their talc sources, pottery suppliers have stockpiled old material but will start to run out. While Cimtalc does appear to be the new most useable substitution, clay manufacturers are finding that crazing and shivering are big issues with this new material. They’re in the process of testing madly to adjust their recipes.

It’s also affecting commercial glaze producers: Mayco for example is focusing mostly on filling pint jar orders, and not making as many of the 2 and 4 oz sizes. Again, recipes will need to be adjusted as old talc supply runs out and the new stuff is incorporated. 

On the Ferro frit front, manufacturing is back on line at the new facility in Mexico, but there are reports of flaws in the first batch. Be extra  sure to test any new batches of material before committing to a huge bucket of glaze in the next 2 years!

Edited to add:

If you work high fire, or use a stoneware that doesn’t have talc in it, or mix your own glazes, you should be largely insulated from the talc issues.

8 hours ago, Allison LeBaron said:

I have a ceramics studio with 60 students/members.  It is sad that I didn't hear about the clay shortage until I placed my  order in Dec. 2021.  Will covid complications finally take my business away.?  I have been doing okay for 2 years. But now I've rationed clay and we will pottery-starve in 2 months.  Highwater Florida said last weeks shipment was cancelled.  They were optimistic 2 weeks ago. Told me not to change my clay body to clay they had in stock. Now all that wrong temp clay is gone.  No kiln elements either. One broken kiln, one to go.  I thought about buying a new kiln.  Found Skutt makes the kilns to order.  Guess what, no elements for a new kiln.  Allison LeBaron

Allison, you do not need to be loyal to Highwater in this situation. A lot of suppliers are having issues, but none as bad as Highwater. Their problems are not just about Covid. Weather on the east coast has not been bad enough to explain anything, and they’ve been limping since last summer. Any manufacturer can arrange a truck shipment directly to you. The shipment will cost a few hundred dollars, but if you are buying for 60 people, you can buy enough to make the cost make sense. These shipments can be made from several states away if needed. Think of it as a one time expense, hopefully things will be back on track by your next order. 

Tell us what clay(s) you are replacing, and the forum can recommend similar replacements. 

Your business is worth preserving! 

(I was using one of Highwater’s clays, had to get a truck shipment in the fall to make it through the holiday season, and have now switched to a different clay from another manufacturer.)

Spent several hours researching this issue yesterday. ( joys of calling off for a month) Overseas freight has tripled: so products like NZ kaolin, Grolleg kaolin, mahavir potash, and stains have seen 30-50% price increases. A few smaller ball clay mines have closed: although the large ball clay and fire clay mines are fully functional. The biggest issue is the ceramic tile industry both here and overseas have greatly increased demands. Lastly, the PVC (pipe) industry has been hard hit: and some areas are using clay pipe for emergency repairs. Pottery only accounts for 2-3% of the clay market: which also means we are on the bottom of the supply chain. Ceramic Tile industry seems to be the big culprit: eating up lots of ball clay- in addition to the talc. 

Tom

Clay pipe- well that not good as that will not last the test of time. I took out all my clay pipes long ago.. The joints are the issue no real way to get long term seals. Tree Roots wreck them

Costs are on the rise so prices of pots are to.

20 hours ago, GEP said:

Shoot, I need a set of elements for one of my kilns. I’m going to call tomorrow to see what the situation is for L&L. 

Just got off the phone with L&L. They do have element wire in stock. My new elements are not shipping out today (like normal) but in 2 or 3 days. She said my elements need to be stretched to size first. Maybe they are preparing elements to order, rather than stocking up on popular sizes in advance? Anyhow, 2 or 3 days is no problem. 

41 minutes ago, GEP said:

Just got off the phone with L&L. They do have element wire in stock. My new elements are not shipping out today (like normal) but in 2 or 3 days. She said my elements need to be stretched to size first. Maybe they are preparing elements to order, rather than stocking up on popular sizes in advance? Anyhow, 2 or 3 days is no problem. 

I think I will order an extra set now.  I usually do keep a set on hand, but hadn't taken the time to reorder after the change out in December.    I always have to stretch mine to fit.   Do you not do that @GEP?  What size is your kiln?  E23t??  In the pics it looks like mine?

51 minutes ago, Roberta12 said:

I think I will order an extra set now.  I usually do keep a set on hand, but hadn't taken the time to reorder after the change out in December.    I always have to stretch mine to fit.   Do you not do that @GEP?  What size is your kiln?  E23t??  In the pics it looks like mine?

Yes it’s an E23T, and I normally need to stretch mine a few inches. I’m not sure exactly what she meant?

Archived