Jump to content

Recycled clay drying issues

Recommended Posts

Recycled clay is currently drying on plaster bats which have been fine and no issues previously.  Right now I have clay which is still quite wet 1 week later….current humidity is 78% so could this be the problem or perhaps plaster bats didn’t dry out enough after last use - I only let them dry for 3 days before using again …? One other thing I changed is that I used a drill bit mixer to get a smoother consistency of clay before applying to the plaster bats. Previously I just hand mixed but wasn’t happy with the amount of lumpy clay.  I have setup 2 fans to try and help the clay dry but wonder if anyone else has input or advise.  Thanks :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you’ve got 78% humidity and your plaster was still saturated from the last batch, odds are good this is going to take more than a week to dry. At this point the best recourse would be to either just let nature take it’s course and have patience, or get a dehumidifier.

You won’t regret mixing your reclaim to a smooth consistency. The end result is much nicer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Gone!

I'm using plaster blocks 9x13 inches, almost two inches thick. After reclaiming clay, in takes several days to thoroughly dry out the plaster - where they no longer feel cool to the touch - even with a few afternoons in the sun.

We're near the Pacific, hence humidity varies from over 90% to less than 50%. Temps are mild; today we started out in the low 50s, will likely reach upper 60s F.

Any road, I leave the clay slurry on plaster blocks propped up on 1x1 inch sticks, hence there's air circulating on all sides of the plaster, which helps a bit; also, I leave the doors open when I'm in the studio, as any air movement makes a big difference. When the clay against the plaster is dryer than the clay exposed to air, it's working...

A thorough mix - I use the half inch (big) drill and a paint mixer - where no discernable lumps/blobs remain - is definitely required, imo. Enough water such that the slurry will mix, yes, but no more, for drying will just take that much longer.

I'll use a smidge of Nerd's reclaim mix (eight parts ball clay, one part feldspar, one part silica, if I remember correctly...) in the first go-round, then again a few times later. The result is a bit more plastic, but takes longer to dry.

The drying phase of reclaming can take as much as a week to ten days; on the other end, less than two days, depending on weather, how much time the doors were open, and how wet the slurry was.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.