My kiln keeps turning off

Paolaeffio

2 hours ago, Paolaeffio said:

Hello

I have a new Olympic Gas Raku kiln, it was firing fine the first 10 firings but now it starts to turn off several times during firing and a flame is coming from the pilot through the vent  valve, I tried opening and closing it but still the same, the kiln has 2 burners.

Can you describe the burner system, and what you have to do to light the pilot and main gas? If it's like the old gas water heaters where you hold the button and light the pilot, then it's probably a problem with the thermocouple, either out of alignment or simply needing to be replaced.

15 hours ago, Paolaeffio said:

a flame is coming from the pilot through the vent

If a flame is coming out of the pilot assembly some way then that often indicates the orifice  or pilot deflector / mixing tube is blocked or partially blocked. The thought here is the reference to  vent is the pilot primary air location where air should go in, so if true then maybe some blockage in the pilot deflector / mixing tube and not the orifice. Remove and clean the assembly, often spiders like to nest in the deflector tube. Gently clean everything, do not enlarge the pilot orifice, maybe pass a tiny needle gently through the hole if blocked or blow it out backwards opposite to the typical flow. If you post a picture, this can be confirmed with a bit more confidence.

A weak flame will not keep the gas valve engaged. The pilot flame should be reasonably strong and blue and engulf the thermocouple. Wispy and yellow generally will not work consistently.

Archived