How do you recycle your bi-producst & recommended readings

Two part question.

Knowing zilch about glazing, other than assuming its all about heat\ time\material, i started my reading "Amazing Glaze" by Gabriel Kline, as i am a book nut. So the first thing that popped out that i had not really thought through waste recycling.  We live semi rural and figured my clay wash outs can just go on my gravel drive. When i got to the bit about glaze and all the variations of toxic components, it got my attention.

1. Waste Recycling: It seems one method is to trap material and create a "mystery glaze". Would love your input on how you collect and handle waste material. I am particularly interested in methods that keep everything on site but still safe for all. We have pets, water well and neighbors with the same.
  2. Recommended Reads: Also interested in good reference\reads particularly regarding firing\glaze techniques. Primary interest is with electric but also want to explore flame\burial type techniques as they carry over into my flame copper coloring world.

Thanks again to all

Hi Mad,

You might get a flurry o' response on this one!

I'm saving clay and glaze.

Clay - all trimmings, oops, throwing slop, and clean up (excepting from the floor and/or otherwise contaminated) for reclaim. I add a bit of Nerd's reclaim mix.

Glaze - all clean up, wash offs, wipe offs, and so on go in a settling bucket; I'm pouring off the clear and watering trees in the back yard (which don't seem to be negatively impacted). The resultant sludge, screened, then adjusted for specific gravity and thixotropy, actually behaves well - it's a grayish blue. Next up may not work out, time will tell ...it will have more chrome, as I've added tin/chrome red to my pallet...
I'm not planning on putting any metal oxides (coloured glazes) out in the environment.

May I recommend this forum (a treasure trove, to be sure), also Tony Hansen's website (https://digitalfire.com). Just Hansen's take on adjusting glaze SG and thixotropy changed my outlook on glazing, aside from all else I've gleaned from his site. From there, so much to choose from; I like Peterson's The Craft and Art of Clay - her explanation of unity clicked for me, there's lots of pictures too.

Watching vids was a big thing for me, the first few years (I'm in year four now) - there's a thread on recommended vids here somewhere. Each does things a bit differently; I've found it helpful to watch, then re-watch after a few months...

2 hours ago, MadMetal said:

I am particularly interested in methods that keep everything on site but still safe for all.

Idea from Deb Schwartzkopf from Rat City Studios, where they combine cone 6 clay and scrap glaze and form it into  bricks that they fire to cone 1.

https://ratcitystudios.com/blog/2016/5/2/puot810gtp1t6nqtgxjl7iw1qh28ss

Insofar as hazardous waste materials the four main materials you need to pay special attention to are lead, cadmium, chrome and barium. EPA has regulations on how those need to be disposed of. Biggest risk to the potter in the studio is from silica dust. 

Hulk, i have to laugh as i too am a material pack rat. I loved the links both you and Min sent. In the age of everyone has a keyboard, website and self proclaimed experts it great to have recommended and respected links\information. Thanks Min, the reclaim method and resulting fun project from rat city is great!  It fits in well with our long range vision of turning our outdoor garden into a destination stop instead of a traditional retail store

Archived