Re-wiring 6-30 plug to fit 10-50 outlet

Sweeney

Hello! I’m buying an old skutt 181 and it’s got a 6-30 plug. My outlet is a 10-50 and I’m wondering if I can just re-wire the kiln plug to fit my outlet?  I’m not finding much info online so thought I’d come here for a little help!

The photo is a 14-50, not a 10-50.

The Skutt 181 should have a 4 prong plug, not a 6-30 which is a 3 prong. It uses two hots, a neutral, and a ground. Each section of the kiln runs on 120 volts, so you need the neutral. If it's actually wired up with a 3 prong power cord then the kiln is not wired properly and I would be concerned about what else they did in the control box to make that work, assuming it works.

Per code, kilns must be on a breaker that is 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, but no more than 50%. So it all depends on the amperage draw of the kiln as to whether or not you can safely use it with your existing outlet. What size breaker is the circuit with that outlet? What is the amperage draw of the kiln you're looking at?

That kiuln plate in photo can operate on a 20 amp #12 wire circuit.

I suggest getting the orginal plug (that comes with new kiln) and socket and changing out the breakers so its all withthin spec

the breaker and wire size in wall matters

People change the heck out of them and its easy to get it wrong

2 hours ago, Sweeney said:

I’m looking at another kiln with this plug, would this be hard to connect to the 14-50 outlet?

6FAA2F24-DFB9-4235-9684-431F591B9010.jpeg

This plug is a 14-30, or 4-wire 30 amps, i.e., two 120V hots from opposite phases of the panel, a neutral, and a ground. If it is the original power cord and plug  for that kiln, then the kiln probably draws no more than 24 amps (per the 125% rule) . The receptacle in your first picture, is 4-wire 50 amps. It has the correct number of wires, but is fused at 50 amps, or twice the draw of the kiln. The max breaker for this kiln would be 40 amps, so the 50 amp breaker is too much. It is ok to have wire that is too big, but everything else should match. To modify your situation for this kiln, you must install a matching 14-30R receptacle and downgrade the breaker to 30 amps.

Archived