DYI upgrade to Genesis Touch Screen Control from DynaTrol

MadMetal

We have opportunity to pick up an in stock 23t from a local shop. The hitch is that it has the standard controller and we would like the Genesis. I have reached out to L&L about the post upgrade process but getting routed through to various areas for a response. The shop has one that they are willing to switch out if possible.

Worse case scenario, looking for how involved upgrading the controller is myself. I have above skill levels working on equipment but...

If it wasn't for expected price increases & inventory lag times, i would order the kiln as desired. In today's world, one in the hand seems the best way to go.

Thanks ahead of time for your inpout

-T

I believe electrically if the kiln has a dynatrol they are virtually electrically plug and play. Bartlett instruments makes both. As far as the opening size, I am pretty sure the touch screen has a slightly larger faceplate than the old V6Cf or dynatrol so maybe new screw holes. @neilestrickprobably knows from experience..

thanks Bill, I was hoping that was the case. All components are new. Sheet metal stuff is my niche so hopefully all straight forward. Only other possible thing would be "brain" configuration that factory might do. Software engineering was in another lifetime, but i suppose there might be a flash\default setting for #elements, couplers type etc, that L&L might not distribute.

@Bill Kielbis usually more right than me about so many things, but this time he is half wrong. The Genesis and the Dynatrol (and the V6-CF) are all the same physical size with the corner mounting holes in the same places. (Skutt is the only one who has to be different with a larger faceplate that the underlying Bartlett it is derived from.) The connections on the back of the Genesis board are the same size connector blades and functionality, but are in slightly different places around the edge, so review the wiring diagram in the back of the manual to put the wires on correctly. Otherwise it is plug and play. Been there, done that. If you get the Genesis, also get the optional current sensor so that it can monitor actual electrical usage and calculate firing costs based on your utility rate. Even if the shop doesn't have one of those in stock, order it for later installation, which is easy.

Edit to add - once the wifi is set up in the Genesis, software updates are handled by download from Bartlett. They are not Windoze-automatic in the middle of the night, you have to scroll down through the menu and do it purposefully. If you understand the logic behind the long-standing operation of the earlier controllers, it is all the same here, just more robust and easier to see what you are doing on the touchscreen.

None of them "calibrate" themselves. There are too many variables in the kilns and associated hardware to create a perfect PhD (push here, dummy) solution at the manufacturer's level, though most of the kiln purveyors would like you to think their kiln always produces perfect results and many potter-customers unknowingly think they are getting what they are supposed to be getting. The only accurate measure for firing is proper witness cones around in the kiln. The cone-fire schedules in the controllers are preprogrammed to the exact specifications of the Orton cone table, but variances in kiln heating capabilities due to wear, loading, or other external factors, and possible thermocouple inaccuracies may cause a different outcome. One should fire the automatic schedule with witness cones inside and compare the bent cone to the controller expectation. From there, you can tweak temperature offsets into the controller to shift the outcome back to where it should be.

Yes, was reading the tech manual from Bartlett. I guess now it will be how willing L&L is to give up base configurations and then go from there. I get its all mud on the wall and your mileage may vary. Looks like the biggest thing might be getting the voltage no load full load settings correct.

23 minutes ago, MadMetal said:

guess now it will be how willing L&L is to give up base configurations and then go from there. I

If you have the old v6cf / dynatrol you ought to be able to run through and write down all the config parameters. Grab the v6cf tech manual, enter the hidden menu and write em down before the swap. Likely Not all will apply to the genesis though, i think their PID prog has changed a little.

Archived