Right Kiln for my wife

I am working on finding a used kiln for my wife who throws frequently.   We have a small 120V kiln but her bigger pices won't fit.  My question is what rating I need to get her.  Is a cone 8 max kiln hot enough for bisque firing, or does she need a cone 10?

If she fires lowfire or bisque temps (cone 04) only then cone 8 is fine. If she glaze fires to cone six (6) then a cone ten kiln is highly recommended for reasonable element life. Careful with cones as there  is 04 and 4 which are very different temperatures. Best to find out what she glaze fires to and pick a kiln from there. Personally even if she was only lowfiring now (cone 04) , she might eventually fire to cone 6 for sturdy, drip free cups, mugs plates, etc…… A cone ten rated kiln definitely covers all of this.

In addition to having a kiln that will  low fire (ex. 04-05) AND med-fire (ex. 5-6) it is worth it in the long run to assure it is large enough for the  larger (wide and/or tall or odd-shaped) work. However, it is possible to go too big (ask me how I know this LOL).  Try to estimate the cubic feet needed to  fill the kiln without having to wait too long to produce enough wares for a firing.

size is relative.  some kilns are tall and narrow, 27x18, some are 27x23, some are shorter and wider.   whatever used kiln you find will probably be advertised without dimensions.  contact the seller and ask for measurements and the info on the metal label with the manufacturer's name.   some will advertise it as an LK3 or some other number and that tells you the seller has no idea what he or she has.  you might have to dig for answers.   ask for photos including one in which the camera is held down inside the kiln so you can tell the condition of the bricks and elements.

if a choice between 2 brands, take the L&L.

Archived