Getting clay whiter

Gin

I am looking to get very white clay so I can do different glaze designs mainly underglazes with sgraffito. I want a white canvas 

I have tried Plainsman 370 and P300. they are still not white enough, I could use the very white porcelain but It is costly just for the whiteness as I don’t need translucent.

Has anyone mixed white mason stain into Plainsman clay?or can anyone recommend another cone 6 throwing clay available in Canada

thanks

Can you make your own soil? Use some clay materials above whiteness 95. If you are in China, your needs can be easily solved, and it is easy to make your own soil, provided that you have relative materials

Canada does stoneware a lot better than it does porcelain. That’s our geologic set of gifts we get to work with. Plainsman has dirty porcelains across the board. If you’re willing to tell us what province you’re in , there are other clays available. There’s some from Tuckers that you can get if you’re ordering from Ceramics Canada or in Sounding Stone territory, and Greenbarn has a few US offerings.

Another tactic you might try is formulating a blue-white slip to put over whatever clay body you like to use if translucency isn’t an issue.

If you are in BC go through the Laguna, Seattle Pottery Supply and Tacoma Clay Art Centre's list of clays. To avoid the really expensive halloysite bodies like Plainsman's Polar Ice look for a porcelain using English Grolleg. I've use Tacoma's midrange English Grolleg, it is very white but not the easiest porcelain to throw. Greenbarn orders from Tacoma, Laguna and Seattle Pottery Supply and will bring in claybodies when they run an order from those companies.  Whitest are going to be the halloysite ones like Polar Ice from Plainsman and the next whitest will be the grolleg porcelains.

Archived