Kiln element pins or repair the fire brick??

Good morning! 
I found a kiln and went for it! Paid $550 for it and it looks to be in pretty good condition for an older kiln. 
When my hubby and the seller were loading it in our truck, some of the brick at the bottom of the kiln broke apart (I must not have iterated how fragile the brick is…). And I’m wondering if I can just purchase some kiln element pins and pin in the elements or do I need to look into brick repair? The largest part that broken is the last kiln section touching the base of the kiln. There are a few sections towards the top I’m wondering about as well.

Also wondering if someone can help me locate a kiln manual! Thanks!

3C6CD8EF-0A31-43D6-A8BD-73D7FBCFDD80.jpeg

BC3747F0-9B22-45CD-8B2F-E6E650F4CB78.jpeg

BEE8242C-14D1-4B90-B455-7EF64D3B1C86.jpeg

FB154BAE-E0EA-40A9-95AD-9045D93629E4.jpeg

2800D184-FAF7-4451-B0C2-17505B01A6CE.jpeg

My thoughts
The middle missing brick should not really affect anything since it does not appear to support any elements. The section on the bottom will be an issue as even pinning these, the element will droop to the floor over time so eventually maybe just pinned to the floor to keep it from crawling out. If you are handy, replacing bricks is not too tough. Maybe wait till when the elements need replacement. Meanwhile elements that crawl out can be reset using a torch, several you tube videos show how to do it. If you don’t use a torch they will likely break so watch the videos first.

Skutt has manuals on their site as well as wiring diagrams - this is the generic one that came up when I searched. Your model. https://skutt.com/images/1975-Kiln-Manual-Web.pdf

7 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

The middle missing brick should not really affect anything since it does not appear to support any elements.

Look again.

@Nataniajoy24 For now just pin everything. Put the pins in so the element is hanging on them, pins angling upward slightly. If the bottom element sags to the floor despite the pins it won't be a huge deal. You can just pin it into place on the floor if that happens. The element in the middle will be a problem if it sags, so pin it well, every 4-5 coils. Better yet, if you still have the pieces of brick, pin those into place and also pin the element. If the element sags replace the bricks and the element. If everything stays put, replace the broken brick when the elements wear out.

8 hours ago, neilestrick said:

The element in the middle will be a problem if it sags, so pin it well, every 4-5 coils. Better yet, if you still have the pieces of brick, pin those into place and also pin the element. If the element sags replace the bricks and the element. If everything stays put, replace the broken brick when the elements wear out.

Thank you Neil, my 1224 has some rough spots and you answered my unasked questions perfectly!

I would have never thought of pinning the brick pieces back in place.

Archived