Largest Kiln in the Land

Hi! I'm assisting some artists on a project and we have been trying to find a ceramic production studio in North America (we are Canadian but will travel) that has a kiln large enough to fire a 6-7 foot sculpture (approx life size). Hopefully same studio can assist with creating a plaster mold from a positive the the artists will bring. Any advice most welcome!! 

No details on what temp or firing meduim this will be -electric-wood -soda-reduction? to cone 08-cone 6 or cone 11?

I suggest a cheap fiber kiln made for the piece and firied locally on your location on the spot .

In terms of large  kilns -Lincoln Ca ,has theFeats of Clay in a large sewer pipe factory with huge kilns-

I think You tube has some videos on this.

There are a lot of kilns that size, however finding one that is willing to do that kind of work for you will be difficult. If it's a full on production studio they're going to be busy with their own work. If it's a college/university you won't be able to use the facilities unless you're enrolled at the school. I would look at some of the arts programs like Penland, Carbondale Clay Center, Archie Bray Foundation, Watershed, Haystack, Arrowmont, etc. They may have some sort of short term residency you could do. Check out THIS list.

No details on what temp or firing meduim this will be -electric-wood -soda-reduction? to cone 08-cone 6 or cone 11?

I suggest a cheap fiber kiln made for the piece and firied locally on your location on the spot .

In terms of large  kilns -Lincoln Ca ,has theFeats of Clay in a large sewer pipe factory with huge kilns-

I think You tube has some videos on this.

amazing, thank you. the team did fire a few large pieces with fibre and a homemade kiln but for this piece they want less risk and some assistance. Because of size it will likely be a  groged earthenware w paper clay so about 06, no glaze and they'll take gas or electric at this point! The artist working on a plan to break it into 3 pieces so might not need such a large kiln..

There are a lot of kilns that size, however finding one that is willing to do that kind of work for you will be difficult. If it's a full on production studio they're going to be busy with their own work. If it's a college/university you won't be able to use the facilities unless you're enrolled at the school. I would look at some of the arts programs like Penland, Carbondale Clay Center, Archie Bray Foundation, Watershed, Haystack, Arrowmont, etc. They may have some sort of short term residency you could do. Check out THIS list.

thank you for the list! I think they were wanting to avoid residencies and just produce the work.. Hopefully if we can get the size down and fire in separate pieces options will open up. 

We had an underage artist try and ask an almost identical question about a year ago. When we found out he was under the forum’s age threshold, we had to remove him unfortunately, and the software we work with didn’t have a way for us to do that without erasing his posting history as well.  I’m blanking on his name unfortunately, but he was out of Ontario as I recall. I suspect his project got derailed by the pandemic. I don’t suppose you’re asking on his behalf? 

In any case. The problem with firing a VERY technically ambitious piece (6’ tall and self supporting) in a kiln that isn’t yours is that someone is going to want you to prove a significant level of skill before they trust you with their expensive piece of equipment. The fact that your group is asking this question makes me think that you might not have that skill level yet.

BUT. If the artist(s?) do intend to build the piece in sections, suddenly the job is a lot more manageable. It’s still difficult, but not entirely unworkable. If you’re talking about building 3’ tall sections, that’s still pretty big, but you could fit it into a readily available 10 cu ft electric kiln. At that point, I’d call your favourite pottery supplier, and see who they can recommend who might be renting kiln space, and would be willing to offer some technical assistance. If you think this is going to be an ongoing media the artist works in, investing in your own kiln might be worth looking into as well.

Archived