Skutt 614-3 kiln

Does anyone have a Skutt 614-3 kiln?  If so how many pieces can you fit in it. I have a Paragon Caldera XL and it is way too smal. I have been looking at the Skutt 614-3 because it can be plugged in a regular outlet but I don’t want to spend money on another kiln that can’t fit many pieces. 

Alicia

Neil is right about the electric, your caldera is rated at 15 amps, Skutt draws more. It’s. Basically 11” inside diameter with a13.5” depth. Here are the specs https://skutt.com/product_pdf_generator_prod_page.php?ItemNo=1475&to_screen=no&type=ceramic&model=KM-614

So it is bigger than what you have but marginally so and I believe it is rated to cone 6 maximum temperature. So a good kiln to fire to 04 but  firing to cone six will reduce the life of the elements considerably. 

Thanks for the replies, we are having an electrician come out on Friday to give an estimate on cost to wire for a bigger kiln. My Caldera is fine for really small pieces but I want to be able to do big pieces 

I suggest a # 6 wire with a 60amp breaker so that with handle all future needs-most kilns use 48 amps (need 25% over on  wire and breaker for safety) so the 60 amp works well.

cost of labor will be the same-the wire a bit more.Use copper wire

3 hours ago, LisaDBJ said:

anks for the replies, we are having an electrician come out on Friday to give an estimate on cost to wire for a bigger kiln

Given the choice of allowable voltage drop in the wire, the electricians rule of thumb at 3% can limit effective element life a bunch. Less than 1% for home style kilns, hopefully much less. Most kilns when the elements wear 10% (10% less power to heat) they require an element change. If your voltage drop is 1%, guess what, when yours wear by 9% it will be time for a change. And so on. Most electricians have no idea of this unless they are potters. Voltage drop is calculated using the two way distance, so your distance from the panel  times two then look in the chart.

You'll need to size the breaker to whatever kiln you get. The breaker must be 25% greater than the draw of the kiln. Most home-studio size kilns will need a 60 amp breaker at most, which requires #6 wire. If you get a kiln that needs a 40 amp breaker, and think you might upgrade to an even larger kiln in the future, then put in #6 wire but use the 40 amp breaker. That way if you upgrade later you don't have to run new wire.

Archived