Kiln vent setup

15 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

The general rule of thumb is if you can't smell it then it's working. Beyond that you get into expensive testing equipment.

Your kiln is small, so I really do think that both systems might be overkill. Since the powered vent wall fan is so close to the kiln, I think it would be worth installing it first and seeing if the Nabertherm system is even needed. A good wall fan can do the job just fine. About half of the schools I work in only have wall fans or an overhead hood system, no other vent system connected to the kiln.

what's the best way to fit the wall fan into the window?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, thiamant said:

BTW, is there a way to take some measurements of the air to check the effectiveness of the vent system? I've seen some SO2 measurement devices but they are quite expensive...

Just adding to what's already been said, if you don't already have one I'ld put a carbon monoxide detector in the area the kiln is in a couple feet down from the ceiling. 

10 hours ago, Min said:

Just adding to what's already been said, if you don't already have one I'ld put a carbon monoxide detector in the area the kiln is in a couple feet down from the ceiling. 

Even though CO is unlikely for an electric kiln, never a bad idea for sure. The business I have been involved in has on occasion  placed me close to the effects of  CO poisoning  so I am first to scream install them if you got them and if not get them. Since CO exposure  is time weighted it’s often misunderstood. To that I placed a chart below which may help folks understand the limits. Very dangerous when one is sleeping though which is truly the insidious aspect of CO poisoning.

To all that though, I should mention, many potters minimize their dangerous off- gassing by limiting what they fire. No lead for instance ........ this is a very effective way to minimize fumes and skilled potters deserve real credit for making a good effort to stay safe. This is proactive and really minimizes the danger. So next time folks who mix their own glazes but exclaim I just don’t use this or that, I think they deserve extra credit for learning and refusing.

That old adage - an ounce of prevention............ heck get a CO detector!

554DB2E2-C953-4B73-BCC4-CDE502FDF26E.jpeg

Archived