question about riverside grit and about pricing on a slab roller/extruder/kiln package

Hello!

I have been offered first shot at a little studio that's selling their equipment and clay.

1. They have 1000 lbs of riverside grit (highwater)  I've mostly used speckled brownstone and standard's speckled clay 760.  Does any one know how this compares ? It's not a good deal if i don't use it.

2. They are offering a  Bailey slab roller drd/ll 30G gear reduced s/r +69 in table  +  Bailey extruder attached to it with lots of dies for $1000 - perfect condition

3. He is also selling a Model e23T-3 Easy-Fire Automatic Kiln with with Multi-Program Three-Zoned DynaTrol + vent system + huge lot of kiln furniture and stilts for $3000.  Fired six times. perfect condition. 

I know the roller and extruder are a good deal. The kiln seems a little steeper but he said make him an offer for all of it.

I don't want to low ball him but I'm also not desperate for a kiln as I have a 2.3 cu ft. one although this one is 7.6 and with that slab roller I'm guessing I'd want a bigger kiln.

Do you think $3500 for the kiln, roller and extruder plus 500 lbs of clay (valued new at around $160) is a good deal?

I'm leary of getting equipment unless I'm fairly certain I can sell it off easily at the same or higher price. I am not sure I'll even keep the extruder as I'm not really a fan.

Thanks all. I'm so new and I've been very grateful for others' input.

Aminah

This is one of the all or nothing deals I feel-I would offer 3,000 for the whole pile. Negotiate from that point-they may ask 3,500-you counter 3,250

start low and go up-they want it gone you can do that if its the right price.

The main thing is what do you want/need out of this-the slab roller and clay? not the kiln or extruder?

Buy the items you want -the slab roller and extruder is a fair price as it is -the clay only works if you want that clay.

same with kiln if you want that kiln toss it into the mix and ask for a bundle all price

Extruders are nice to have and very easy to sell.

55 minutes ago, Aminah Bradford said:

I have a 2.3 cu ft. one although this one is 7.6

It's 6.7 cubic feet. It's the most popular size in the US. That kiln with a vent and shelf kit will run about $3600 new, so it's a good deal if it really is that new. On the controller, in Cone Fire mode hit Program Review and the last two bits of data it shows are 'Fire' and the number of firings.

Like Mark said, go low and haggle from there.

1 hour ago, Aminah Bradford said:

I am so grateful for this advice, Neil and Mark. Thanks! I did what you suggested and got the kiln for $2115!  For that I feel like it's as good a deal as the slab roller and extruder... 

Thanks for helping along us newbie potters.

aminah

Thats great! Congratulations!

Archived