Ceramic Painting

Hi!   I'm new to painting Ceramics (since the lockdown and was bored).   I've painted part of my ceramic bisque and didn't like the color or how it looked afterwards.   Question?   Can I take the paint/color off or just paint it white again?   I don't want to ruin the piece.

Any help to the newbie would really be appreciated.

thank you!

Hi and welcome @4 Paw Mom!

I’m moving your question into the “studio operations and making work” section, so that it’s more visible and you get more answers to your questions.

If you have not yet fired the underglaze on, yes you can still wash it off with no problems. But. Underglazes are not paint, in that they don’t look the same after they’re fired as they do when you paint them on. You do get the hang of what they’ll look like as you practice more, and get more familiar with the materials. It can also help to have a fired example of what the underglaze will look like in front of you as you work. The visualization can be tricky at first. Also, if you’re using dry underglazes (instead of a product like stroke and coat that has a bit of gloss to it), the piece will look different when it has a clear glaze applied over it. If your piece has had the underglaze fired on but doesn’t have clear glaze, dunk it in a bucket of water. This will usually give you an idea of what the end result will look like.

If the underglaze has already gone through the kiln, you cannot remove it without a lot more effort than it’s worth. It’s better to remake it, and because you’ve had that initial bit of practice, the next piece will turn out better because you’ve got the experience from your initial pieces to work with.

As you have read above, it is not "paint and painting", it is glaze and glazing--very different materials and processes. If you are going to continue working with clay and you are not being taught about ceramics  wherever you are making your pieces or buying bisque ware & getting it fired, here is a link that may be of some help for you to learn the terminology & descriptions as you go along.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_pottery_terms  There are also decent YouTube videos that help newcomers get oriented to the basics.  

Archived