Eutectics Calculator

Min

• 3 weeks later...

Links have been updated to the 1.91 version of the EuCal. User Guide (updated also) and the EuCal can be read and used by anyone, the link to the 2018 CM article is behind a paywall but everyone can access 3 free articles a month so it's available that way to people without a subscription. All links in the first post in this thread.

• 1 year later...

Hello, @BobMagnuson thank you for the nice software.

Question, any idea where would I be able to find a list of other eutectic systems? I assume there are systems that incorporate say sodium, magnesium, silica and alumina? That potentially would have a lower melting point than a system with only magnesium, silica and alumina? 

It is one of those cases where it is hard to know what to look for, google turns up mostly unrelated papers behind paywalls. 

The most authoritative resource is probably ACerS-NIST Phase Equilibria Diagrams.  The current version is called PHASE 5.0, I think.  The big problem is that it is WAY expensive...well over $1000 for a single user.   I have never had access to the full version.  It's possible some university libraries might have it.  In the past, they offered a demo version that I found quite helpful.  I don't know if that is still available.  As you can see, tracking down reliable information on ceramic eutectics is not at all easy.  Good luck!  

1 hour ago, BobMagnuson said:

The most authoritative resource is probably ACerS-NIST Phase Equilibria Diagrams.  The current version is called PHASE 5.0, I think.  The big problem is that it is WAY expensive...well over $1000 for a single user.   I have never had access to the full version.  It's possible some university libraries might have it.  In the past, they offered a demo version that I found quite helpful.  I don't know if that is still available.  As you can see, tracking down reliable information on ceramic eutectics is not at all easy.  Good luck!  

Yes, I did some more digging and found the ACerS-NIST Phase Equilibria Diagrams. The demo version have some data but most of the time it makes me wonder what I am looking at, lol. I will dig some more I suppose. 

• 1 year later...

anyone else having an issue with the two cells for strontium and magnesium eutectic toggle converting to true/false(1/0) and away from the check boxes?

Some files work and some files don't. I thought maybe saving as different file types/versions might help but no luck with the few simpleton type efforts could muster.

It's no big deal. I've been loading old files with working Sr/Mg eutectic cells but it's getting more annoying.

?

3 hours ago, Hulk said:

I'm not able to reproduce "Include" checkbox state instability using version 1.91

It's only an issue when I have to re-enter certain recipes and that's really nbd.

I thought maybe if it was an easy fix i could save myself the occasional hassle but I'm only working on the odd project that benefits from EuCal. I'm illiterate when it comes to excel so I'm just thankful to have it.

2 hours ago, BobMagnuson said:

On my system, if I make changes to the spreadsheet and then save it with a new name, the next time I call it up Excel comes up with a Security Warning and I click "Enable Content", then "Yes" to make the file a trusted document.  This needs to be done whenever the file name is changed.

I was trying to duplicate that warning and then remembered I disabled it in the security settings.

The newest entries are no trouble. I copied an old entry and the new cells work fine - problem solved.

Edited by C.Banks

• 1 month later...

Has anyone got the trial version of  ACerS-NIST PHASE diagrams to run? All I got was what seemed like a forever loading bar on the title screen.

Has anyone tried 5.1?

I'm unsure how useful they are to me but maybe if I stare at the diagrams long enough some hidden 3d image will appear.

https://ceramics.org/publications-resources/phase-equilibrium-diagrams/

*it look slike the trial version is completely gone

Edited by C.Banks

1 hour ago, BobMagnuson said:

I was able to download, extract and use ACerS-NIST PED Demo from:

https://www.nist.gov/srd/nist-standard-reference-database-31 

It's a fairly large file, so it does take a while to download.

i couldn't find that page - thank you

I had the editor on my ssd but it took up too much room. Now it doesn't want to open/install. I get the blank page file:///D:/PEDEditor.jar with nothing further.

It's not too important. I just wanted to see if I could make any sense of it. I might have enjoyed a career in material science or ceramic engineering  40 years ago.