Underglaze transfer and stroke & coat

19 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

Stroke and coat is a lowfire glaze that can fire to cone 10 if memory serves me and .......... Is opaque. Are you sure you want to cover your underglaze with it?

The color I have is pretty light and translucent (not all the way transparent) when using 2 or 3 coats so that's why I was asking if anyone had tried. I figured maybe the black underglaze would still show through the translucent jade color, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it.

17 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Stroke N Coat would be an expensive way to cover a pot. And they would be opaque if thick enough to cover well.

It's just 2 small mugs and I have yet to use any of the big bottle of stroke and coat so it wouldn't cost me anything . The color I have is pretty light and translucent (not all the way transparent) when using 2 or 3 coats so that's why I was asking if anyone had tried. I figured maybe the black underglaze would still show through the translucent jade color, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it.

1 hour ago, RebeccaGood said:

The color I have is pretty light and translucent (not all the way transparent) when using 2 or 3 coats so that's why I was asking if anyone had tried. I figured maybe the black underglaze would still show through the translucent jade color, but wanted to ask if anyone has tried it.

If it’s transparent then definitely worth the trial. You might have a cool combination.  Maybe test tile time. My experience has only been with fairly opaque colors and layering with stroke and coat. The dragon on the mug below was created with layers and fired down.

B45F6670-5FBF-4300-BB49-C0BE62C5928B.jpeg

• 6 months later...
On 4/27/2021 at 5:42 PM, RebeccaGood said:

Has anyone used stroke and coat over an underglaze transfer? I have some mugs that I used underglaze transfer on and I’m wondering if I could use stroke and coat over it instead of just a clear glaze. Any pictures? Anyone done this with success? 

thanks! 

Did you try this? Was it successful?

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know the answer to this? Has anyone tried this?

I need to know if it's okay to use Stroke & Coat over a fired underglaze. I haven't found the answer yet. Please post if you know "yes,  it works" or "No, it shouldn't be applied to an already fired underglaze".

Thank you!

On 9/28/2023 at 4:02 PM, Rpsa said:

I need to know if it's okay to use Stroke & Coat over a fired underglaze.

4 hours ago, Kelly in AK said:

All the stroke and coat glazes my students have used are opaque. I wouldn’t expect underglaze to show through them. 

@Rpsa just to add here stroke and  coat glazes generally melt at cone 04 (low fire) but seem to work well at higher cones as well. They are opaque, but that’s not to say an 04 clear glaze would not work fine over underglaze. While experimenting, I found I could make a glaze act like stroke and coat by having enough boron to melt at 04 but enough alumina so it would be a stiff glaze that traditionally does not run. These glazes would melt fine at 04 and tolerated firing well beyond that temperature. Is this how they make stroke and coat, I don’t really know. I mention because if stroke and coat has a clear version, then I think it likely would work fine.

On 9/28/2023 at 2:02 PM, Rpsa said:

I need to know if it's okay to use Stroke & Coat over a fired underglaze. I haven't found the answer yet. Please post if you know "yes,  it works" or "No, it shouldn't be applied to an already fired underglaze".

I don't use Stroke & Coat so I went ahead and emailed Mayco, their response below. How well the underglaze will show through is something you will have to test.

ScreenShot2023-09-30at9_09_08AM.png.6a0f0c79fd015246907d80066005ac3c.png