Lifespan of envrovent 1

I have a 21 yr old   envrovent 1 .I'm expecting to have to replace elements  later this year.I'm wondering if I should replace the motor while the kiln is apart. It's not making any weird noises. I'm just afraid in of a failure down the road . My kiln is 12 yrs old and has light - med.useage.Mostly fire to 04, but have done about 10 ^6 lately I've noticed the bottom is almost 1 cone cooler than the center and the top.

52 minutes ago, CGS said:

wondering if I should replace the motor while the kiln is apart. It's not making any weird noises.

Do a visual exam. If the bearing doesn’t make noise and the rotor is in decent shape (maybe some light cleaning) and it spins freely and doesn’t vibrate excessively I  would continue to use it. Set up correctly these fans only see maybe 110 degree air so they ought to last a long time.

My enviorvent  motor wouldn't turn on one day,  so my husband started taking the motor out to see what the model was.   He was going to get a new one from Graingers,  when he got it out he found a big wasp nest inside of it.   He cleaned it out and it worked like new,  I  put a fine mesh screen in a new vent cover outside  to keep the wasp out of it

Just so we're talking about the same thing, the Envirovent 1 sits directly beneath the kiln, mounted to a sheet metal plate that fits into the kiln stand, correct? If so, those models tend to die a lot faster than the Envirovent 2, because the motor on the 1 gets a  lot of heat from the kiln. On the 2, the motor is not mounted under the kiln. I'm also not a big fan of the sheet metal plate- I've seen them warp and sit unevenly which causes the floor of the kiln to crack. If your current vent is running nicely- no rattles and rumbles, keep using it as long as the sheet metal is still flat and the kiln is sitting evenly. When the motor starts making a lot of noise, that means it's starting to wear out, however it can run noisily for a long time. Rather than replacing the motor, I would replace the whole thing with an Envirovent 2.

We recently replaced our EnviroVent 1 with a new motor. Our previous motor wasn’t working, made noise and had a lot of rust on it. The replacement was easy and the same motor was reasonably priced. If and when this motor dies we will move to the EnviroVent 2 model. For now it is working well and draws heat away quickly. It’s very quiet too

Archived