Evaluating toxicity in glaze for teaware

thiamant

1 hour ago, liambesaw said:

Yeah but if it says the ratio made the glazes durable with no leaching, but then a few paragraphs later talked about how they leached quite a lot. 

“The Background
Poor durability of glazes can be attributed to a condition called ion exchange. In this process, hydrogen present in the acids in food and base in soaps can displace the alkali metal (lithium, sodium, potassium) in the glaze.ii This process can be restricted by having an ideal flux ratio of 0.3 R2O 0.7: RO via unity molecular formula in glazes at all temperatures, as defined by Katz.iii”

have not seen any research to contradict this actually. I think it’s more useful than not really and the correlation is fairly strong. Restricted seems a good descriptor.

7 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

“The Background
Poor durability of glazes can be attributed to a condition called ion exchange. In this process, hydrogen present in the acids in food and base in soaps can displace the alkali metal (lithium, sodium, potassium) in the glaze.ii This process can be restricted by having an ideal flux ratio of 0.3 R2O 0.7: RO via unity molecular formula in glazes at all temperatures, as defined by Katz.iii”

have not seen any research to contradict this actually. I think it’s more useful than not really and the correlation is fairly strong. Restricted seems a good descriptor.

Oh sure, I agree with .3:.7, I'm just saying that paper made no sense, because even at .3:.7 there was significant leaching above 3% copper.  I'd just say restricted compared to what?  And how do they know?  The evidence is missing from the paper.

Archived