Running a used kiln for the first time

olivia.ix

Hi all!

I am a very new, amateur potter and am working to set up a studio. I recently purchased a used Skutt KM-1027 kiln from a retired art teacher. I was never planning on buying a kiln this large, especially just starting out, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I have never operated a kiln on my own and am a little apprehensive about using it for the first time. I feel like it would be a good idea to run it once without much in it just to make sure that it works well and gets to the correct temperature. Is this logic correct? Is it okay to run a kiln semi-empty with only a few tester pieces in it or will the fact that it is empty impact the way that it fires? 

Additionally, I doubt that I will ever produce enough work to fill the entire kiln unless I wait months and months between firings. Will running a kiln when it is not full affect it long term? 

Thanks!

It certainly wouldn't hurt to run an empty or mostly empty glaze firing program just to check things out. Also check out the condition of the thermocouple. Replace it if it's really crusty or bent. You should also learn how to check the resistance of the elements using a meter. Any cheap digital multi-meter will work. Instructions HERE. The video is from L&L, but the process is the same. It's a good way to check the condition of the elements so you can replace them before they die. When the resistance is off by 10% they should be replaced. For a Skutt KM1027 on regular 240 volt single phase household electrical service, your element resistance should be 13.6 ohms for the top and bottom sections, 16.3 ohms for the middle section.

Archived