Paragon aa-8b 1975

Hello!

I am new here and was unable to find any information regarding an old Paragon kiln, p10 model. I just bought one off Facebook marketplace and am planning on getting it set up in my garage for firing pieces my daughters and I make. I was wondering if anyone has any information on this kiln model, I couldn’t find anything on Paragon’s website or on Reddit boards. I am planning on having our electrician hook it up as soon as he is available. Any links or any info at all on the model or beginners set up in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Always liked this document as a decent basics for most manual kilns. https://paragonweb.com/wp-content/uploads/IM104-Paragon-Ceramic-Kilns-April20181.pdf

Best I found, model number from P-10 listed for auction is A24B. So if you are lucky and P-10 is an A24B then https://paragonweb.com/wp-content/uploads/A-24B.pdf

Here is the auction I got the P-10 designation. If you scroll through the model no plate says A24B https://www.purplewave.com/auction/130918A/item/AN9650/Shop_Tools-Tools-Kansas

20 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

Best I found, model number from P-10 listed for auction is A24B.

I found another listing for a model P10 that was a little 15 amp test kiln. I'm thinking P-10 is probably the Kiln Sitter model, as there are model P and model K Sitters.

@ElizabethRose is there a serial plate on the kiln that has more information? Does it say P-10 on the Kiln Sitter shutoff device, or on the serial plate?

15 minutes ago, ElizabethRose said:

Hello! 

Neil is spot on, the sitter model is P10. It’s going to have a real model and serial number plate,  likely something on order of EA........ once you get the actual model you should be able to find the documents on the paragon website.

So I was able to pick up the kiln tonight and with it the original Registration card and instructional manual. I took some photos of the interior but maybe will have to retake during daylight. It looks like it is in decent shape but I know very little about kilns. My friend will be able to help me and I will do more research but thought I’d share here too since you have been so helpful and knowledgeable! It is a Paragon AA-8B model, purchased in 1975. I will have our electrician come when the weather is a bit warmer here (Wisconsin) and hook everything up safely. Any comments or tips or helpful links are greatly appreciated! I am very excited and thankful for your help!! ☺️

0653A2F6-AD3D-4DEF-84DA-DC2AF04523D4.jpeg

3E60FFB5-9669-4F4C-9330-D85B62E2A7A7.jpeg

85F4D1D0-1DFF-4F9F-B078-C8F3BBA14F25.jpeg

A5AD9805-CD88-475C-968E-8D74254CC65D.jpeg

F4348F96-FC6A-4F5E-8FC0-831A473040C3.jpeg

may i suggest that the numbers and letters may be transposed and it is a model A 88-B?   looks a lot like my old one from that era.  edit to suggest  maybe not, it looks wider than my little 18x18 inch interior kiln.   the bigger one was given me in the 1980s and interior measurements were  23 inch wide by 27 inch deep model A 99 B.  what size is it?  back then the measurements were exact inches, today people use square feet,  totally imprecise and you have no idea if something will fit through the door to your studio.

the raised vents that run from top to bottom on the sides of the panel with the sitter seem to fill the entire space.   sometimes the kiln manufacturers metal label is along there somewhere and difficult to see because of the angle.

Archived