Methods of to get the inner part of a porcelain part smooth, despite the uneven outer surface

I am looking for an non industrial way, to get a smooth inner surface despite uneven outer surface of an object using slip casting or any other method that can be implemented without industrial tools. For my current project, I am looking to make a cup in a polygon shape. However, in order for the lid to fit on top of it, the inner part needs to be smooth...

I have attached a link to an example cup, that has a smooth inner surface. Does anyone have an idea of how to do such a thing? Any ideas or help are much appreciated.

https://www.aersix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=889878

Welcome to the forum, Juliaa...If you are working with a slip-cast item, or a thrown or handbuilt piece that is not purposefully textured on the inside as in the mug shown in the photo, just glaze and fire the piece. Because of the question, would you be kind enough to give us an ide of your level of expertise? I'm guessing you are very much a beginner...

On 3/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, Juliaa said:

I am looking for an non industrial way, to get a smooth inner surface despite uneven outer surface of an object using slip casting or any other method that can be implemented without industrial tools. For my current project, I am looking to make a cup in a polygon shape. However, in order for the lid to fit on top of it, the inner part needs to be smooth...

I have attached a link to an example cup, that has a smooth inner surface. Does anyone have an idea of how to do such a thing? Any ideas or help are much appreciated.

https://www.aersix.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=889878

I'm afraid that I don't understand your problem. I would have thought that if you slip-cast a mug the inside would be smooth (assuming that the slip is under control). So a round mug has a smooth round inside, and a polygonal mug has a smooth almost-polygonal inside (with slightly rounded inside corners).
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRp3peOKl6jadmtBFcCv3Oimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMrRVyuzaWPY8_J865K2K

Obviously the flange (?) of the lid would have to be tailored to fit within the shape of the inside of the mug. For the polygonal mug this might mean that the  flange only makes contact with the flat sides of the mug and avoids the corners.

Can you clarify what I'm missing?

PS You haven't mentioned the style of lid you are intending to use. Does it correspond to one of those marked in red below? I assume that you are intending to keep the mugs sides more or less vertical and the rim unmodified for easy sipping.
1299010145_LidHandoutv1_50.jpg.8a0871209021719400be82fc2185b08e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Juliaa,

Short of using a jigger, as mentioned above, an alternative would be to make a two part slip casting mold. The mold would split horizontally. The top piece would have an opening that matches the size of your lid. Done this way the texture of the inside surface would not be an issue.

Archived