Slowing of Shimpo RK55 wheel

My Shimpo RK55 wheel has been slowing recently and I am seeking advice from someone who knows more about wheel issues than I do, before I take the underside off to investigate further.

It was purchased in 2018 so is relatively new, used a couple of times a week for a few hours. The wheel is kept on a cellar which is damp but there is no sign of rusting or corrosion on the wheelhead or underside of the wheelhead.
Whilst this is an entry level wheel, the centring capacity is supposed to be upto 11kg/25lbs. I am attempting to throw with weights of  no more than 1kg at this time.
The wheel turns when I press the footpedal but it is slow, very slow. When I apply pressure to centre clay, the wheel drags or stops completely. When I release pressure, it turns again but slowly. On occasion it will suddenly have a burst of speed, before it slows again. 

I first noticed the slowing about 6 weeks ago with the slowing to a complete stop happening in the last few days.

Motor is 1/8 HP 100W

Does this sound like an issue with the belt slipping?

Thanks in advance for advice or support. I’m lost without a functioning wheel. 

Hi Roob!

The RK55 is belt driven, correct? Might be a good place to start - is the problem the motor and/or upstream from there, that is, the controller, the footpedal, powercord? Or is the problem somewhere between the drive wheel on the motor and the wheel head - small pulley, belt, large pully, wheel head shaft bearings, something dragging on the wheel head.

Likely that means looking underneath/inside. Be careful - unplug, push the pedal to verify, etc.

Is the motor responding to the pedal as you would expect? You should be able to hear if it speeds up when you press down on the pedal. If they seem to be in sync, then it's probably a belt/drive system problem. The belt may need replacing or just tightening. If the pedal and motor aren't in sync, then it's more complicated because it could be something as simple as a pedal adjustment, or as serious as a new controller.

2 hours ago, roobarb said:

The wheel does respond to the pedal, but speed is not as it should be and it runs slowly, then all of a sudden has a burst of speed, then slows again.

Is the lack of speed and surge in the motor itself or just in the wheel head? You should be able to hear how the motor responds to the pedal. 

• 6 months later...
45 minutes ago, Hassan said:

I have similar issue with shimpo VL-lite, speed is going up and down while the pedal is not touched, i have checked the pedal and it was ok.

Any idea what is wrong? is it the motor or the controller?

Most likely the controller, but I'd call Shimpo as they would know best.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, Hassan said:

I have similar issue with shimpo VL-lite, speed is going up and down while the pedal is not touched, i have checked the pedal and it was ok.

Any idea what is wrong? is it the motor or the controller?

Hi, I was wondering if you ever figured out what happened to your shimpo lite wheel? I am having a similiar issue of variable speed with no pedal control. It seems like a power surge. The red on button did brake a while ago (and we didn't fix it) and I have been wondering if that contributed