How much glycerin to add to slip for improved brushability?

SueDirani

Hi folks,

I'm a new member to your forum and while I've already found posts that recommend the addition of glycerin to clay slips to eliminate the brush lines when brushing slip on pots, I haven't seen anything to indicate how much glycerin to add.  I've got about 2 cups of liquid coloured slip and I'm wondering how much glycerin to add to improve brushability....are we talking about a couple of drops?  Or a couple of tablespoons?  I know your recommendations can't be precise but I'm just looking for a ballpark to help me get started.  :-)

Thank you for any suggestions!

Sue

Glycerin is rather deliquescent, so adding too much will result in a slip that takes quite a long time (days even) to dry.  

So with that in mind, I may start with just a few teaspoons and see if it does anything.  It is not quite as good as gum based brushing medium for this, and if you have access, that may be better.

At the high end of the range you can try using a 50/50 mix of glycerin and water instead of water next time you mix up slip.  It will take ages to dry, but will smooth out better than just adding it to normal slip.

Archived