Crater Glaze

Lucy GReen

Hi! 

I'm looking for 3 diffrent basic crater glaze recipes and their firing schedules. 

I've tried looking online but they often don't have an accompanying firing schedule or firing temperature and since I've never worked with crater glazes before I have no clue what temperature to fire to or how fast I should be firing. Something really foamy and bubbly! 

Many thanks!! 

lucy,  just a question.   all of your posts are asking about very unusual treatments of glaze.    would you just describe what it is you make that requires such odd inclusions or techniques to make the item fit your ideas?   the only photo i found was of a pink mug with blue spots. 

nobody here is going to copy your idea but having some information will help get you the answers you need.

Oh sorry, 

I'm just doing a degree in ceramics and trying to learn as much as I can about glaze because it interests me. 

Ive tried to find information on crater glazes online but the information is conflicting and obviously universitys aren't open so I can't learn through testing 

i've experimented with some crater glazes. i've never had to do any kind of special firing for them. just the like medium speed cone 6 electric firing has always worked for me. 

this is pinnell crater with some amount of light rutile as a colorant.

60 neph sye
20 strontium carb
1 lithium carb
10 ball clay
9 silica
2.5 silicone carbide (600 mesh) (this is the magic ingredient to getting a crater glaze)

119927824_ScreenShot2021-02-01at8_02_41AM.jpg.301178d6c0cd6f5efe66d1db41c8c5f6.jpg

15 minutes ago, oldlady said:

lucy,  just a question.   all of your posts are asking about very unusual treatments of glaze.    would you just describe what it is you make that requires such odd inclusions or techniques to make the item fit your ideas?   the only photo i found was of a pink mug with blue spots. 

nobody here is going to copy your idea but having some information will help get you the answers you need.

Oh sorry, 

I'm just doing a degree in ceramics and trying to learn as much as I can about glaze because it interests me. 

Ive tried to find information on crater glazes online but the information is conflicting and obviously universitys aren't open so I can't learn through testing 

2 minutes ago, akilspots said:

i've experimented with some crater glazes. i've never had to do any kind of special firing for them. just the like medium speed cone 6 electric firing has always worked for me. 

this is pinnell crater with some amount of light rutile as a colorant.

60 neph sye
20 strontium carb
1 lithium carb
10 ball clay
9 silica
2.5 silicone carbide (600 mesh) (this is the magic ingredient to getting a crater glaze)

119927824_ScreenShot2021-02-01at8_02_41AM.jpg.301178d6c0cd6f5efe66d1db41c8c5f6.jpg

Thank you so much! 

lucy, thanks for the info.   much different than i thought.   you really are not trying to USE the glaze, right?    good.   they are among the most useless in my opinion.   they are very rough and i have handled some that would cut your hands.   concentrating on these for a course of learning is one thing, using them is not a good idea.

Archived