Amaco glazes

Rjceramics

Hi Everyone, I have recently starting testing with some potters choice glazes, mixed results so far but that’s fine. I was wondering if anyone has tried using these glazes over other glazes and not just amaco PC and C glazes. Thought I’d ask before a million more tiles!
thanks in advance. 

Welcome to the forum RJ...I've been using and layering Amaco PC & C glazes for more than 5 years and have been pretty satisfied with the results of my endeavors particularly with my most recent layering over Obsidian. I have, however incorporated Duncan's Renaissance Shino Cream to my layering for some really outstanding results. The Shino Cream is used primarily in bands around the rim of my pots and causes some heavy duty running with a resulting "hare's fur" look when applied in 2 or 3 layers. You can see some of the results of the layering I do in my gallery. I have not tried the Amaco over other brands yet since I'm pretty satisfied with current outcomes. One thing I can suggest to get a realistic idea of outcome is to use large test tiles or reject pots (that you might normally trash because of cracks or other defects). IMO the small test tiles just don't do the job for good layering outcomes.

It’s probably best to make the tiles anyways. I know it’s  not everyone’s favourite activity, but testing in your own firing situation and on the clay you use is important. Someone else could have tried the glaze combos you’re thinking of, but unless their firing cycles and clay were the same, there may still be variation in the results. 

2 hours ago, Rjceramics said:

before a million more tiles!

I think I could spend more time making tests than real pots.  Remember to make vertical tiles, or something that closely resembles the real pots.  Flat test tiles are not good representatives if you're going to make tall vases!

Archived