Alternating glaze layers clear/opaque

muddkat

Silly question....if you layer a clear glaze, then add streaks of an opaque glaze, another coat of clear, then opaque streaks, etc.....when fired, will the opaque just melt in with the clear and become muddy/cloudy mess?  I am hoping it will give some dimensional depth...but, I am leaning towards the results being muddy....but, going to try it anyway on a piece.....just for kicks. (I will post my results either way).  :)

Hi @muddkat and welcome to the forum.

Not a silly question at all, just one that probably needs testing to find an answer to. As always, try it and see what happens. If you are just starting out with glazing I would really suggest making up a lot of test tiles so you can try your experiments with those rather than your real pieces.

Thank you for that info...makes sense.  Where this 'crazy idea' popped into my head is from my friend who is an airbrush artist he uses this  technique to create depth and a 2D effect....but I am taking into consideration that this technique (over dry coats of paint) is not the same as melting glaze......lol....but, I thought 'why not try?'  I did it just on the rims and handles of mugs...and some drips.....we shall see! :o :) 

3 hours ago, muddkat said:

Where this 'crazy idea' popped into my head is from my friend who is an airbrush artist

We were able to create similar effects airbrushing underglaze. Depth is interesting under clear, motion / movement is fairly easy to create. It was a lot of work for sure and produced some unique looks. Matching up underglaze and airbrush tips was also a bit of work. Definitely not a crazy idea, have fun experimenting, one never knows. Maybe a combination of techniques will get you a unique look and texture.

AAAAF7E8-082A-4837-A8CC-66EE306E16E0.jpeg

Archived