Moving an old Cress C20H kiln (and looking for a manual)

hannahsu

I'm considering purchasing an old (1970s) Cress C20H kiln.  I think the specs will be similar to this newer model: https://products.cressmfg.com/item/ceramic-kilns/manual-3/pn-1180.  It's a bit of a gamble, but only $150 and I figure, if nothing else, it will get the ball rolling on my home studio (or at least teach me a lot about kiln repair/regret). 

Do you have any advise on how to move it successfully?  Most of the info I find out there is for kilns that can be broken down into parts, but I don't think that's the case with this model.  I have access to a van, dollies, tools, a ramp, and an extra set of hands.

Also, does any ideas on how to track down archives of old manuals?  I've emailed the company, but have yet to hear back.  Or, has anyone who's operated this kiln willing to share info?

Thanks!

Separate what you can- might only be the lid. Only use dollies, carts etc, that the kiln can sit flat on, completely supported and sitting on a sheet of foam. Anything else is likely to crack the floor. The cheapest way to get big pieces of foam is a sheet of housing insulation- the pink or blue stuff. When you load it into the van, set it on a layer or two of foam and secure it so it can't slide around. The lid can ride on top, separated by a sheet of foam, as long as it's secured. Otherwise lay it flat on foam on the floor, or on its side (on foam) secured to the van wall, foam between the lid and the wall.

Any kiln manual that has the same controls will work.

• 4 months later...

I have one of these and it works well.  It's a Cone 6 kiln. For the bisque fire I put the ware in and candle it a few hours or over night by turning on the bottom switch only and propping the lid open an inch or two.  then I gradually bring the temp up till it turns a cherry red.  Then run to the flag until the cone melts. For a glaze firing,  at that point I switch two elements off for one hour and then shut it down  

Archived