Buying first kiln

Joe H.

Okay, parts are available as far as bricks and elements. Control system and switches are not. That said, there are plenty of other switches out there that could be used instead. I think these probably use the old phenolic board setup for the element connections, and if those are broken there are ways to deal with those, too. Or you could hook it up to an external digital controller.

From the L&L web site:

K Series kilns were the predecessors of the J Series kilns. They ranged in size from 14" diameter (the K14) to the 23" diameter models (K23 and K230). They features high-medium-low turn-up switches. Most of them had Dawson Kiln Sitter, some with timers and some without. They were manufactured by L&L Manufacturing Co., Inc. from the mid 1960's to the mid 1970s. Most parts are available. 

We highly recommend that any older kiln, especially one over 25 years old, be evaluated by a competent professional for safety.

If it's all original, chances are the wiring should be replaced as it's going to be the old waxy stuff and it's got to be pretty brittle by now. Power cord, too, if it's original. Usually these old L&L are still in good condition as far as the bricks go, so if you're will to do the work on the electrical as needed then it would be a good buy. Due to its age and size, I wouldn't offer more than $200 though.

It looks good! Just check out the wiring. Hard to read- does it say 20 amps and 220 volts? If so then at 240 volts (your household wiring) it's going to pull about 22 amps, which means it'll get to cone 8 or more, so if you plan to use it for cone 6 it'll work fine. It'll need to be on a 30 amp breaker. The serial number is the production date- it was built in 1975.

It says 20 amps and 220/110 volts which sorta confused me. I’ll be using it for cone 6 most likely. So you think it’s worth like 200 max? Also thank you so much for the help, it’s really awesome and I’m completely new at kiln shopping so idk what id do without the help.

joe, the kiln looks good.   ask if it comes with any shelves, posts or other items you might have to buy if they do not come with it.    if you can get a photo taken with a camera that is placed inside the kiln at the level of the elements, you might be able to see if you really need new elements or not.   some kilns were used for only earthenware, never going hotter than cone 06 so their elements still look and act good.  straight up and down no leaning is very good to see.

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Goes from a 4400 w @ 220v designed kiln to 5266w @ 240v.. I would  imagine they wind elements today to bring this back to 4400 w? Do you happen to know?

It would use the Jupiter elements for pre-June 1996 kilns. The current version pulls 5520 amps, and I would expect it to be the same because I believe the 1996 change was only a change in element size/winding when they switched to a new element holder design for all models, not a change in resistance.

Archived