Saggar Firing

Hello - I am trying to use alternative firing techniques to create ceramic pieces which have a lot of colour on the surface.  So far i have had to use oxides and under glaze powders to produce any colour (which is kind of cheating) I bisque fire my work before saggar firing it, but i don't apply any terra sigilatta to the surface. Is that what i am doing wrong? Currently all my results are black and grey smoke marks - which are nice but not what i'm aiming for... Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Thanks Babs.

Hi Georgia.  Here are examples of my recent saggar firings.  I make clay saggars and fire in my raku pulley kiln as seen below. I keep a 1" space between the pot and the wall of the sagger as suggested by Linda and Charlie Riggs. We all use and burnish terra sig and bisque to 08. This allows the surface to be absorbent to whatever you are burning in the saggar.  Maybe your space is too tight or maybe you have too much burning inside. Are you throwing in any table salt? That helps with getting things fuming. What are you burning?

MSeL 42.jpg

Selsor_Marcia_Wispy.jpeg

saggarpinkblushwblue.jpg

potsinsaggers.jpg

Thank you for getting back to me. I have thrown in rock salt (the kind you throw on the roads when its slippy) I could add table salt. My sagger was a cylinder shape and I had multiple tiles in there with straw, leaves, sawdust, newspaper - all dried properly. I think im going to try adding terra sig to my tiles/ pots. Do you have a good recipe? 

Ball clay and a few drops of Darvon 7. The measurements in the video are off. It is a 591 ml bottle filled 3/4 of the way so it is really a 1/2 liter. for a full liter use 500 grams for 1/2 liter use 250 grams of clay

I use copper carb. and salt  mixture on a bed of sawdust  I add seaweed bits  and orange peels wedged in between the wall and pots Raise the pieces out of the combustibles on a piece of kiln shelf or brick. Saggars are not barrel firings and don't need all the combustibles. How are you firing the saggars?

Archived