Glaze blisters in transparent powder glaze ( off the self)

Zoewoods

Hi, I’m using an off the shelf transparent glossy glaze, which has worked really well in the past, it is now creating little air blisters all over everything in the kiln.  I’ve tried higher and lower temps, I’ve tried bisque firing at a higher temp, I’ve tried mixing glaze to dip (with water) and glaze mixed with the brush on medium, I’ve tried one coat, two coats. It is worse on horizontal. Could it be a bad batch of glaze? It’s driving me insane, advise would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, Zoewoods said:

Hi, I’m using an off the shelf transparent glossy glaze, which has worked really well in the past, it is now creating little air blisters all over everything in the kiln.  I’ve tried higher and lower temps, I’ve tried bisque firing at a higher temp, I’ve tried mixing glaze to dip (with water) and glaze mixed with the brush on medium, I’ve tried one coat, two coats. It is worse on horizontal. Could it be a bad batch of glaze? It’s driving me insane, advise would be greatly appreciated.
Good question, I've had similar problems recently. I suggest reading this page and particularly going down to the section "Limit Formulas" and clicking on the highlighted links for good info. https://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/limit_formulas_and_target_formulas_206.html
Good luck!

Hi Zoe!

Could you post pictures - glazed pieces before and after firing? What clay(s) are you using, at what temps? Did the problem(s) onset match up with opening a new/different package of glaze? If so, do you have any of prior/good glaze left to compare with? What brand of glaze (if you're comfortable sharing that...)? Could there be any other factors, e.g., are you working with same clay as before problem? Firing same? Your process same? Is the problem isolated to the one glaze, iow, are you having same/good results with your other glazes?

Archived