Olympic Kiln innerbox plug repair

I am replacing the plug and receptacle in the top ring electrical box of my Olympic electric kiln.  The element pigtails that extend through the porcelain insulators are connected to the plug wires with very corroded wire connectors.  Any idea how to remove the crimped connectors without cutting the pigtails?  I will need the 3/8 pigtail to attach a new connector to the plug wire.  Photo attached. Perhaps I can get shorter insulators and not replace the entire element. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Olympic-Kiln-repair.jpg.49fa5a13c7d7b920c282f0eb4dd68fca.jpg

I would replace the element as well but if desperate you could put a mechanical lug connection over the existing crimp  and connect your new wires as a temporary fix. There are many style lugs generally available at the big box hardware stores. Key to using any style is the ability to tighten them very tight and keep them tight. The style below is just one of many. If you use one of these definitely clean the oxidation off the old crimp before installing the new temporary  mechanical connection over it.

13B7DEA5-05CF-4FC2-96D5-CFCDE0BF8EEC.jpeg

I wish I could leave it but the  plug/receptacle needs to be replaced (burnt and fused) and I have to remove the connectors  to connect the

new plug to the elements.   As this is the top ring  (only 6"w) with only one element,  I think I'll replace the element. Thanks

1 hour ago, BonnieBelt said:

I wish I could leave it but the  plug/receptacle needs to be replaced (burnt and fused) and I have to remove the connectors  to connect the

new plug to the elements.   As this is the top ring  (only 6"w) with only one element,  I think I'll replace the element. Thanks

Do you mean the plugs/outlets between the control boxes? Elements are connected to the switches or interbox plugs via feeder wires. Does the new plug have feeder wires already attached that can 't be removed? I would just splice the wires to the old feeder wires for now.

If you're talking about the interbox plugs, I would see if they have a hard-wire kit that gets rid of those plugs altogether. They're a weak link in the system and are prone to frying out.

Archived