Paragon sentry2.0 DTC600

1 hour ago, David Moore said:

Can it be use for ceramics? I really hope it can and need some instructions for this please.

We will really need to know the model of your kiln to determine what temperature it can be fired to. Once you have that, the paragon website has manuals and diagrams for most of their kilns. The model number and other essential information should be located on the kiln, it often contains the electrical requirements and max temp the kiln can be fired to.. Also  probably good to have an idea of what cone you are comfortable working at.

The DTC 600 is just a controller and can be used for ceramics, glass, jewelry, etc.... the kiln Model will be the important part.

Thank you,

My Kiln is listed to be run at cone 8 or 2300 degrees F. It is an Olympic liln and I will send the model number if you require this too.

The timer has a maximum safety set at 2000 degrees f. I would like to adjust it to reach the listed 2300 degrees f for my kiln so I can use the timer. If I cannot have this adjusted, I don't think it will be useful to me.

I will be using up to cone 5 and 6.

Thank you,

David

On 7/18/2020 at 5:00 PM, David Moore said:

Thank you,

My Kiln is listed to be run at cone 8 or 2300 degrees F. It is an Olympic liln and I will send the model number if you require this too.

The timer has a maximum safety set at 2000 degrees f. I would like to adjust it to reach the listed 2300 degrees f for my kiln so I can use the timer. If I cannot have this adjusted, I don't think it will be useful to me.

Thank you,

David

The timer is usually just a timer, if it’s labeled 0-20 then that would likely be 20 hours. Look up your model on the paragon website and download the instruction guide. This will likely answer your questions. Posting your model number here would allow folks to provide an opportunity for constructive comment.  

@David Moore I looked through the controller manual (HERE), and I'm not seeing a method for getting into the factory settings and changing the peak temp. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. With a lot of these old controllers they just didn't make that information available to the public because it saves the manufacturer a lot of headaches from when people start messing with the programming. Call Paragon, and they may be able to tell you how to make the change. There's no reason the controller shouldn't be able to fire hotter, as that model was used for ceramics.

20 hours ago, David Moore said:

My initial thought is your timer was a timer, If the timer is the DTC 600, just use the cone fire programming in the manual @neilestrick has shown above, or write your own program. An audible alarm temp can also be set in this controller as well  or shut off using 9999. The alarm appears to be for notification, the kiln will continue firing. There is a procedure to acknowledge and if desired to set a new alarm point. I am not sure I actually understand what you are asking, so hopefully this addresses your issue.

Thank you Neil and Bill,

I have a DTC 600 with a Sentry 2.0 installed in it.  Photo attached for clarity on the model. The manual says the 2000 maximum is a setting that is a factory adjustment. I agree, it seems that it should be easy to increase if ones kiln is able to fire at higher temperatures, but this method is not listed in the manual unfortunately.

20200715_221821.jpg

4 hours ago, David Moore said:

The manual says the 2000 maximum is a setting that is a factory adjustment. I agree

I did not find that reference in the PDF Neil posted so maybe check the sentry 2.0 manuals and see which one fits your control. If it has the safety feature then it Is very likely the user can set it. If it was a fixed temp set at the factory then it should match the nameplate on your kiln  so something Maybe amiss here.

excerpt from sentry 2.0 below as an example.

B12C3555-B0C6-47DC-AFEC-0426145EA919.png

HI Bill,

The controller is separate from the kiln. temp probe is on a wire that is inserted into the kiln for measuring temp and controlling the firing. Maybe this detail should have been added originally to clarify. The kiln is rated at higher temp than the controller can control for presently. Yes, I am trying to get information from paragon to adjust the program as it is not in the manual. I had hopes someone on this forum would know the programming method or would point me in the direction of the document that guides on this.

Thanks!

David, what you have is an older Paragon external TnF2 controller that originally had a DTC600 control board in it, hence the labeling printed on the box. For whatever reasons, the original DTC600 control board has been replace/upgraded to a newer Sentry 2.0 board, for which the internal wiring and box are still the same. Because of that change, ignore the DTC600 manual posted by Neil. We still do not know how old the board is. The Paragon website contains several iterations of the Sentry 2.0 instruction manual, dated 2001, 2009, and 2010. All indicate the maximum safety temperature was set at the factory (probably to conform to the design of the kiln it was installed on) and can only be changed at the factory. However, Bill found a page somewhere on the Paragon website showing how to change the LIM value. My suspicion is that is how the factory would change it if they felt there was a good reason for you to ask them to do it. So, just do it as shown, but put in the maximum design temperature shown on the rating plate of your Olympic kiln.

12 minutes ago, Dick White said:

David, what you have is an older Paragon external TnF2 controller that originally had a DTC600 control board in it, hence the labeling printed on the box.

Good catch, Dick! I didn't even notice that.

@David MooreThe factory settings are usually accessible through the keypad, you just have to know the 'code' to get into them. You shouldn't need to send it in. Try what Bill posted, and if that doesn't work Paragon should be able to walk you through it.

Archived