In home studio - dust control, drain protection

I'm not talking about installing a dust collection system, I wasn't that prolific even when I was a lot younger.

But my "studio" is basically the third bedroom in my house which has a typical hollow core door with about an inch gap under it and its RIGHT off the kitchen.  So.  I want to corral the dust.

Is there a way to do that with the existing door?  And if so how... or should I just get a cheap exterior door installed there with the sweep?

I had hoped to be out of here by this time but between pandemics and exploding bathrooms I am stuck where I am for the nonce and must make the best of things.  I've been waiting for decades to set up my own studio and if I wait much longer, they'll have to set it up in my coffin, LOL!

Another question - do I have to buy the filtering thingy for my utility tub drain from a ceramics place or would just any old dental-type filtering thingy supplied by my plumber be fine?  Or what should  I look for in that regard?

PS - rolling up a towel and stuffing it under the door or something won't work.  I WILL forget.  Whatever the dust-corralling method, it should not require post-installation intervention (other than normal cleaning) on my part.

Best to keep the dust down in the room by mopping and sponging. You don't want the dust sucked into the furnace cold air returns and blown around the house. Also keep a pair of shoes that you only wear in the studio- take them off before leaving the room. But if you want to cover the door gap, just get a sweep and attach it. No need to buy a new door.

Archived