Paragon Electric Kiln A-66

Hello,   I just purchased a used Paragon Electric Kiln A-66.  It does not have a kiln sitter. I am trying to figure out firing schedules and basics related to using this kiln. I would love to talk to somebody who is familiar with this particular unit and learn some tips and basics for getting started.

30 minutes ago, Newby Carol said:

Hello,   I just purchased a used Paragon Electric Kiln A-66.  It does not have a kiln sitter. I am trying to figure out firing schedules and basics related to using this kiln. I would love to talk to somebody who is familiar with this particular unit and learn some tips and basics for getting started.

Hmm, was the sitter removed? Here is the manual for the A&B model I believe  https://www.paragonweb.com/files/manuals/IM5-A-and-B-Paragon-Inst-Man-Jan2017.pdf. You will need to develop your own bisque and glaze schedules. Not a bad idea to model them after some popular schedules today which you can look up in the Bartlett manuals for a start,  without a sitter you will also need to figure out how to turn off at proper cone. https://binst.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/manual/asset_path/294/Genesis___Mini_Genesis_Manual.pdf) You will need to  emulate them by manually turning from low to medium, etc....

A basic schedule for a manual kiln is low for 1 hour, medium for one hour, high until done. Without a sitter you'll need to have a set of cones in there so you can shut it off at the correct time. Can you post a picture of the kiln so we can see the controls?

Thank you for the quick replies. I am adding pictures of the kiln and controls. it looks like it is in good shape. I have the directions and tried to do the initial tempering to get rid of any moisture that may have accumulated while sitting idle. Elements turned on approriately, so I set to low temp and planned to let it run for 4 hours with   peepholes out. It got warm, but not enough light in there to even look in peep holes to view a pyrometric cone. Changed it to medium heat and still not light in kiln to view cone. 

@Newby Carol I think  you need a minimum shade of 1.7 - 3 for kiln safety eyewear. Not a UV thing, an infrared thing. Welding goggles run from shade values of approximately 3 (gas welding) to 11 (Arc welding) ........, a bit more than just safety goggles .

please double check what you are getting.

Archived