Would you adjust this test kiln to better match a bigger kiln?

Smokey2

I have a L&L EZ28 and an Olympic SQ169 test kiln.  Both have a Genesis controllers.

The L&L has the standard  K-type thermocouple and the Olympic came with a K-type Pyrocil thermocouple installed.

I programed this identical custom schedule into both controllers

seg    ramp    temp    hold
1        250°     230°    20m
2        350°   1900°
3        108°    2195°    5m
4     9999    2095°    15m
5    9999    1900°    20m
6      170°    1500°

cones.jpg.9689a2bc92cccc5535fba4eb7233819b.jpg

The one on the left is from the L&L and the one on the right is from the Olympic, as you can see they are close and the glazes look good in the test kiln.

My first question is:  should I adjust it or leave it alone?

If I were to adjust it I know I have a few options like lowering the peak temp or shortening the holds in seg 3 and/or 4. My thinking is I would like to keep my schedules for both kiln identical to keep life simple, so my options now are either a cone or thermocouple offset (BTW  - Pyrocil Thermocouples don't have a offset pre-programed into the controller from the factory).

I'm not sure if I can adjust a cone offset in a custom program. I guess I'll find that out soon enough.

How would you proceed?

I'd leave it. Your glaze probably won't show much if any difference between the two. If you decide you do need it closer, then you've got a lot of variables to choose from as the cause of the difference, as the difference may not be from the thermocouples at all. It could come from the hold times, and each kiln's ability to kick into a hold during a drop without overshooting, or its ability to reach the peak temp at the desired ramp. Since you've got two kilns of dramatically difference size, each is going to respond differently to the program. I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't adjust the thermocouples. Instead, adjust the peak temp and see how it does. But I'd only do that if there's an obvious difference in the appearance of your glazes.

Could also be a difference in cone bend if the one in the test kiln is closer to the element. I agree with Neil, unless the glazes look different I'ld just leave it alone. Drop the top temp by 10 if not.

Archived