Raku firing damage to heating elements

Simona

Is anyone using electrical kilns for raku firing (1020C, 06) and could comment on any issues with the heating elements?

We have been using a kiln with fiber-encased elements for 20 years. However, we're considering replacing the kiln and most of the available models have open wires, supported by ceramic rods. Has anyone in this community had any experience with such firing setup, or any recommendations? Are the heating elements prone to bending/shorting/tearing when exposed to thermal shock?

Thanks a lot!

Simona

simona, i do not think you are in the USA or canada.   could you explain what you mean or show a photo of a kiln whose "open wires are supported by ceramic rods"?   in the US, electric kilns have soft brick inside that is grooved to hold the elements in place.   some manufacturers go farther and use special grooved hard brick element holders to make changing elements easier.   i do not remember seeing any foreign made kilns with "ceramic rods" when photos from overseas were posted here.

Thank you for your answers!

Indeed, I'm in Europe. Apologies if my language was not accurate! Here's one kiln model we are considering: https://www.lac.cz/en/furnaces-and-dryers/k-chamber-furnace Here's another, with the heating elements located in the grooves: https://www.lac.cz/en/furnaces-and-dryers/ke-chamber-furnace.

Here's an enlarged picture of Kanthal wire heating element on a ceramic rod: X_Line_V.jpg

I'd love to hear if this is something similar to what you have been using for raku firings.

I would talk to the kiln manufacturer and see what they say about the ceramic rods holding up to the thermal shock of opening the door. My gut feeling is that they'll be fine, since they can handle the heating of the elements that are touching them.

4 hours ago, Simona said:

Thanks! I'm more worried about oxidation damage to the wires, ceramic rods should be fine, IMO.

The element wire should be fine. I've known people who raku fire with electric kilns and have never heard of the elements being damaged.

simona, fascinating pictures!   thank you,  kilns certainly look different from the usual top loading ones i have seen and used for years.   always wanted one with a front door so i could load and unload more easily.    we have them but the cost is way beyond my budget.

i have known potters who use top loaders for raku by putting their bottom shelf up high on posts so the firing space is close to the top for easy loading.   you will need to talk to the manufacturer about those beauties you are considering.   good luck and i hope it works well for you.

Archived