Old Crusader Kiln and asbestos

If it's a typical round electric kiln made of insulating firebrick with an outer metal jacket, there will not be asbestos in the brick. However, if there's a layer of fiber insulation behind the brick, there's the potential that it could contain asbestos. Round kilns didn't usually have backup insulation 40 years ago, though. Square kilns did, but it was usually a mineral wool or spun silica product. Post a picture of the kiln.

24 minutes ago, Marshanmax said:

I have recently purchased a 40-something-year-old Crusader kiln and I’m concerned about the possibility of asbestos in the bricks.  Does anyone know if asbestos was used in these kilns?

Brake pads still contain asbestos, just not very friable.. Bricks are an issue because of silica dust As well. Most recommendations are for hepa vacuums when cleaning a kiln because there is an increased risk. Regardless of Asbestos content or not, follow proper personal protection and area protection guidelines to be as safe as practical would be my suggestion. The presence of asbestos can be confirmed through microscopy else the guidance generally is to presume it Is present.

1 hour ago, Marshanmax said:

I’ve decided to get it tested as there has been some minor damage to the bricks and I would rather know for sure what I’m working around.  Thanks so much for your guidance with this!
Shannon

You really don't need to test the bricks for asbestos. Is it a typical round kiln with the outer metal jacket? If so, the issue is silica, so you should wear a mask when working with the bricks, like if you're replacing a brick and creating dust, but for normal operation of the kiln- loading, unloading, firing, etc.- it's not an issue. Even if it's a kiln with backup fiber insulation that is for some odd  reason asbestos, you're not going to be releasing any fibers during normal kiln operation, as the fiber will be behind the bricks and not exposed.

• 3 months later...

Interested in this thread as I have an old square kiln with firebricks, soft material and an outer fibrocement board skin that we think is likely to have asbestos. Am going to test. In houses if you don’t disturb it the asbestos is less problematic; does anyone know the implications of heating to kiln temperature (assuming the material is intact)? Differs to above as I don’t have the metal jacket. Thanks v much. 

- have added photos - I damaged my peephole which is how the issue was raised. 

48B5B4B0-7889-4341-AC43-6D0E5097D29F.jpeg

60C7DC23-F5C9-4172-86C9-29F99EC91A9B.jpeg

12 hours ago, Smithd said:

Differs to above as I don’t have the metal jacket. Thanks v much. 

The basis for leave it alone is it is effectively encapsulated to be non friable or by nature it is so. Since you do not have the metal jacket this is a bit more difficult. About as far as I would go personally would be to hepa vacuum the chunks out of the port into a suitable bag and rebuild it solid with maybe AP greenpatch. Then it would be a judgement call on whether the existing covering is a suitable encapsulant. For me my father died from mesothelioma 30 years after he worked for one year in a brake refinishing factory during the depression here in the states. I think I would have it tested and probably test the area it was in.  Microscopy and fiber count though for the test, a real lab thing.

• 5 months later...

Darn, I think I've just done 'disturbance' - took apart a small metal-encased dead enamelling kiln, thinking it was fire brick I could re- use. The core was ceramic, the insulation was very light and crumbly. Looked like it had mica or silica (shiny, flaky) bits. Any guesses? I can post a pic later.  Thanks in advance...

Archived