Mother of Pearl Lustre

Any clues why a luster fire yielded great results with white and yellow gold applications, but mother of pearl is non-existent? The temp was set to 01,  and 018 and 019 witness cones melted, but not 020.  So I don't think it got too hot - but maybe should have fired hotter? Thanks!

They have much different firing temperatures

From the Duncan overglaze guide:

Note: When using metallics and lusters on the same piece, it is best to apply the metallic first, fire to witness cone 019-018, and then apply the luster and refire to witness cone 020.

I am coming to my own conclusion about the mother of pearl luster. I think it is extremely subtle and looks better when used on a bigger surface over a light glaze, not dark. I was using it as decoration, like one would with gold. I imagined it would look like white iridescent pearls on the pieces and really hold its own like the gold. Maybe the material  is also too thin in the bottle. Something is amiss, but it might be a number of factors. I won't be using it again until I figure out what went wrong. The gold on the other hand, is sublime.

1 minute ago, Claybottress said:

I am coming to my own conclusion about the mother of pearl luster. I think it is extremely subtle and looks better when used on a bigger surface over a light glaze, not dark. I was using it as decoration, like one would with gold. I imagined it would look like white iridescent pearls on the pieces and really hold its own like the gold. Maybe the material  is also too thin in the bottle. Something is amiss, but it might be a number of factors. I won't be using it again until I figure out what went wrong. The gold on the other hand, is sublime.

It fired too hot for mother of pearl, you can't fire it together with gold lustre.  It actually looks quite good on dark glaze.

Archived