Beyond the Standard. . . .

Hi folks, I was working on some projects the other day, and trying to come up with new ideas for the QotW, but nothing but this came up at the time. As it does not seem like a QotW type of question, I thought I would post it here.

What tools do you use Beyond the Standard. . . .in my case for this it is throwing, considering the following: Standard kit, Sponge, cutting wire, needle tool, knife shaped wooden rib, and a straight/ curved combination rib.

I will add these tools to the standard for that much that I do.

The three on the left, are for shaping, bottles or vases and jars, the 2 large ones on the right are for shaping plates and platter shapes, and the 3 in the middle are for shaping and undercuts on pieces (yes, made from bamboo kitchen tool kit).BeyondtheStandardThrowingKit.JPG

best,

Pres

This is above my basic kit which includes a straight/curved rib. However, use the spatula rib to straighten walls and remove the finger marks. I use the flower shaper and the yellow plastic tool for pulling the insides of chalice stems and tall bottle necks.

best,

Pres

Man I feel like a chump!  You have went out and made all these special tools, I just have a few basics I use for throwing.  Metal rib, wood rib, sponge, chamois.  Now I've BOUGHT a bunch of other tools thinking I'd use them, I just never end up grabbing them.  Old habits I suppose.

Even with those tools I usually end up with just the metal rib and chamois

Different strokes for different folks. However, when you throw chalice stems enough, or long necked bottles or even floor vases with narrow (3") diameter inside necks it helps to extend your reach and ease your arthritic hands. At the same time the large wooden ribs are really nice to lay out a plate quick getting them ready for decorating. Most of the tools I bought, or found. Only the kitchen spoon tools were my own efforts, and then only to alter.

I should have included a metal rib in the basic kit as most of them include one, and most people use them a lot.

best,

Pres

I do use a cooking chop stick or a long screwdriver to throw long necks and spouts, but I also don't throw things like that very often since my focus right now has been on functional forms.  

I do love all of the tools I use though, so far they've been perfect, they fit in my hand, are comfortable to use, serve multiple purposes, so I'm lucky in that way.  I can't imagine all of these tools would fit everyone's hands or purposes as well.

Archived